Missing Files, Lock-up and stuff

I just bought a New Passport Essential today, I ran the utility to update the software and windows right away. I used the software to back up my Pc. I added my own files, Music, Movies and such. Hours went by while I cleaned up my

C: drive in my Pc. When I was done with that I tried using the Passport software to safely close the thing in order to

unplug it, nothing happens. I maximize my WD SmartWare window, it’s not working, froze. Double click my  computer, open my Passport’s F: drive, and the movie file I copied into it earlier in the day, EMPTY!!! and a “fatal Write Error” right after that. So long story short, I unplugged the Passport WD drive and restarted my Pc. I plugged my Passport back in after the re-start and tried (Using WD Smartware, software) to retrieve backed up files of the movies I deleted off my C: drive, I couldn’t do that!!! ARRRG, the transfer screen under the “Retrieve” tab was empty, nothing there to transfer back to my C: drive, that’s not right, it was there 2 hours ago. But then I went and turned off the Back Ground, Back-up that was happening, and what do you know, my files are all there on the Passport drive, nothing deleted, nothing wrong. I believe when you connect the drive to use use it at anytime, you may want to click the “Stop Back up” tab before you do anything with it. Doing anything with the drive while a system back up is running is a  bad idea.