Microsoft Warning loading Passport Ultra

Trying to load a brand new Passport Ultra onto an older PC (not high speed USB ports) with an XP os and keep getting the following message:

"The hardware you are installing for this hardware: USB Mass Storage has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed the Windows Logo testing.".

… ?

gbchadd,

A Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 system with all the latest Microsof tupdates, system drivers, and an active internet connection should be able to detect the appropriate signed driver. However, the USB 3.0 connection may not be supported by the system’s controller, and as such, I would recommend using a USB 2.0 cable instead.

If I use a micro usb cable other than the one that came with the Passport Ultra then I will not be utilizing the duplexed connector that goes into the Passport.  I have never seen a cable with a second connector on the side like the passport cable has. Can you tell me what this smaller plug is used for?

gbchadd,

It’s part of the USB 3.0 standard, and bears no effect when using a Micro USB 2.0 cable as only part of the connector will be used.