MY WD My Passport essential won't show up on my Ps3? I already have it fomatted as FAT32

I purchased this device to use with my Ps3. I searched all over the net to find the right way to do it. I formatted my WD my passport essential to FAT32 but still nothing pops up. any ideas?

Hi, Im also having the same problem, cant even format myĀ 

Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable / 500GB / to FAT32

How did you do it?

I Need to format it to run files off for ps3 & xbox 360 i have no other use for this drive.

Any help would be great, cheers!

I tried many ways and many programs. I first tried swissknife but did not work. I then ended up using another program i forgot the name but it worked .i got my hard drive to FAT32 but its not being recognized on a PS3

I also tried swissknifeV3 with no luck, could you send me the link to the program you used? if i get mine working on PS3 iā€™ll let you know :slight_smile:

Also when you right click properties on your HDD does it now show as FAT32? as I tried formatting mine through DOS & said format complete, then still says its NTFS :S

unfortunately my computer was recovered yesterday so the program is deleted i dont remember its name. it began with an ā€œeuā€. but I used this software and it did nothing. I just did some research and came across this link. Iā€™m going to see if it works

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=201&sid=34&lang=en

yes it comes up as file system: FAT 32. I just remembered i have a password on my external hard drive. maybe this is why it isnt popping up is there any way to stop this feature

Ā I already tried that software earlier doesnt work on the new drives :frowning:

I think you can unlock the drive so it has no password try that :slight_smile:

yea.i took off the password .brb testing it on my ps3.wish me luck:mansurprised:

YES! it worked. all u need is FAT32 and no password

yay! Im still struggling to get it to FAT32. swissknife says its doing it but last time it crashed :confused: glad it does work though :slight_smile:

For anyone else trying to do this STEP 3 of this guide seems to be a winner >>>

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical/Formatting-a-USB-Storage-Device-For-Use-With-The-PS3-A-Guide/m-p/4641947/message-uid/4641947

Hi,

Try disabling the WD Smartware VCD & then format it to FAT32.

To Disable the VCD Refer WD Answer ID-3835.

ShiV

use this linkĀ  http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htmĀ download the free software. use it to create an additional partition change it to fat32 this will add Ā seperate drive to your harddrive. You shouldnt have to erase any data off the harddrive. I didnt backup mine and it work perfectly and like others said before make sure you remove any password that you might have on the harddrive and it should pop up create the folders just like it is on the ps3 (video, photo,music, and game). Game should be empty. GOOD LUCK!

btone3610 wrote:

use this link  http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm download the free software. use it to create an additional partition change it to fat32 this will add  seperate drive to your harddrive. You shouldnt have to erase any data off the harddrive. I didnt backup mine and it work perfectly and like others said before make sure you remove any password that you might have on the harddrive and it should pop up create the folders just like it is on the ps3 (video, photo,music, and game). Game should be empty. GOOD LUCK!

Dude, that is the BEST and EASIEST way to backup on the ps3 using any of the new WD drives, I just bought a 1tb My Book Elite, and when I saw all the trouble people were having with all the new included software on the drive, my heart sunk, until I tried your method, got it first go! so easy! Thanks man!

oh, and did I forget to praise how it can be practically two seperate drives in one?? not JUST a fat32 drive, also got my original ntfs on there too :smiley:

Hi i have downloaded EASEUS but do not know what to do with it i have opened the program and can see my wd 500 but dont really know what to do and dont want to lose all the data i have on it, could someone please advise how to format for ps3 use.

regards

Matt

If you plan on reformatting for use on the ps3, you will need to remove the data off the drive, first.Ā  Otherwise, you will lose the data when you reformat it.