Linux drivers and backup software for the "My Passport 500GB" product?

I just bought a My Passprot 500GB, and I aquired it for SuSE SLES 11 SP2 O/S. I’d like to have it backed up regularly as I have quite a lot of software and hard work invested into the machine. I notice there is only Windows and some Apple software. Is there any Linux support for this product? Model: WDBKXH5000ARD-NESN. Please help! Thanks, Jay

Linux is not a supported OS.

Joe

So thats it, screw you Linux, and drop dead? Surely someone has drivers and software, it can’t be that hard to supprot on Linux??

Why would they waste the time and money on an OS that has an insignificant market share about like pre XP versions of Windows?

Joe

Where have you been Joe? Unix and it’s ugly cousin Linux have been around a VERY long time (Unix longer than Windows), and are the backbone platform for as many systems as a mainframe, dwarfing MS and certainly apple. If there was no Unix, then Windows would have had nothing to steal from, gez!

You should take a look at any of the latest Linux Distros, you’d be shocked at what they can do and the apps packed on them.

Anyway, I’m finding a lot of BU apps for Linux, many of them are desigend to be like Apples Time Machine, apparently a fantastic Bu tool. So I can make it work. The device is not the issue, that can be made to work, what i thought WD woudl have is BU software interface for Linux to perform varuious types of BU’s with, but no. I guess they left that fo the pros.

I don’t know where you are looking but the Linux segment is extremely small http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems 

Joe