Laptop wants me to format drive. Desktop can't find

I have a My Passport  P/N WDBACY5000ABK - S/N: [Deleted].  My wife was using it last night.  After she unplugged it, I attempted to open it to manipulate some files.  When I did, I received a message that I needed to format the disk before I could use it.  I did not format it.  I attempted to open it on 3 different laptops.  On each laptop I received the same message.  On my desk top, the unit does not appear.  Any help is appreciated.  I have looked at a few of the posts regarding this.  I am not much of a computer guy.  I have thousands of photos on the unit.  Would I be best served to seek professional assistance.

I had the same problem with 2 usb external drive (same version of external drive).

For the first, i returned it to my retailer for exchange (didn’t found solutions)

On the second one I found a solution to catch back some data.
In fact I plugged it to my samsung tv and freebox revolution, (internet tv with wireless connection to my laptop) and I had the luck to be able to recover 60% of the data.

After main search, I didn’t find way to repair the problem, and I plan to sent this drive to WD for exchange.

Hope that you’ll have more luck than me.

See you

(Sorry for my english if he is bad)

Thanks for the idea.  I don’t have an internet TV.  I am wiling to try anything.