Issues to add new files to my HDD

Hi everyone! I have a WD (My passport) and suddenly I started having issues to add new files to it. My Mac recognizes the External HDD and I am able to open files that are on it normally.The only issue is actually adding new files. It’s as if the HDD is on “Read only” mode out of a sudden. Does anybody have a hint on what I should do to fix it?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi, can you verify how the Passport is formatted (NTFS, HFS+ etc)? You can right click on the Passport and select get info. If it’s formatted on NTFS you wont be able to copy files, since this is a Windows format, HFS+ is the format that Mac’s use. 

Hi! You’re 100% right. It’s formatted as NTFS. The weird part is that I am (or was) so sure I used it on my Mac before…

is there any way to “fix” it in order to be able to add files from my Mac to it?

Thanks! 

Yes, you can easily do it by following the steps from the link below. Note that this will delete any files that you might have in the Passport, so be sure to do a backup first. 

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

Some software might fix it. NTFS-3G  http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/NTFS-3G.shtml might work. I don’t know if the link still workls or not. It recently went to pay and most of the free links have quit working.

Joe