Is my data really, really lost?

How can I be sure data is not lost before I reformat. I am sick! I think I deleted information but am not positive since I did not reformat. However I did go through a series of other stuff after a complete restore of my computer would not recognize the hard drive. It is what it is so I want to be absolutely sure that the info isn’t hidden somewhere before I give in and reformat the hard drive. What a mess!

How did you copy the data to the drive with software? Try enabling show hidden files and see if anything shows. Does the drive shoe in Disk Management?

Joe

Tried as you suggested but drive doesn’t even appear under drive management.  Think I need a recovery spec or do a reformat.  Thanks for responding.

Since the drive doesn’t show in Disk Management there may be another problem. Try different ports on your computer make sure you’re not connecting with a hub or cable longer than the one provided. Also try the drive on a different PC if possible. Look in the Device Manager and see if the dive shows there.

Joe

I have tried to connect  on many ports and also tried on my 2 laptops and 1 desktop.  Actually the drive is recognized but it is My Passport that does not show up.  That is where my data is. When I connect, I get a message saying I cannot use the drive until I format it.  Does that mean my data is gone?