Is Passport Studio's fireWire 800 compatible with iMac 5,1's FW 400?

I just purchased My PassPort Studio for Mac. The firewire cable doesn’t fit my iMac 5,1. (I might have firewire 400 port). I’d like to make it work; if it’s possible. 

Purpose : I will keep most of my docs and scans on the PassPort (created from my iMac) and will edit my files from my MacBook Pro (which has the fw 800 ports).

Question: Does an adaptor exist to attach the passport firewire 800 to my (older) firewire (400?) port? [Both Macs have USB, but wouldn’t that be too slow?].

Thank you for any suggestions. 

Hello, fireWire 800 is backwards compatible with 400. Try calling/Emailing tech support directly. 

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

1 Like

Thank you.

• 1st Call:    Said I’d have to find a legacy hd but that he wouldn’t recommend it.

• 2nd Call:   Said to buy an fw 400 to 800 adaptor from Apple. So I’m looking…

(?) Question:

Not sure if its just a cord or something that turns the 400 port into an 800 (converter?) and then plug the Passport into that.(?) …Hopefully it will just take a cord.

I’d prefer not calling a 3rd time (to avoid getting an answer, like the first call). It’ll be too late to return by the time the adaptor arrives, so I hope it works. I’ll post the verdict.

Thanks

Hi Cheyenne, please check your private messages. 

1 Like

WD’s solution: Buy an fw400/ fw800 adapter: ( Side A: Fw800 (9pin: IEEE 1394b) Female.  Side B : Fw400 (6 pin; IEEE 1394a) Male.

It will only go the fw400 speed… which they said is the same speed as the usb2. (Now I know what backwards compatible means). I got a refund (minus $20) from Newegg and am ordering 2 of the 2Tb MyPassport Studios. It’s too expensive to buy new Macs so I’m glad these hdd’s are available.

I guess both answers were the solution so hope I can choose both.

Thanks all!