Installing WD My Passport Ultra on new computer

I’m getting a new laptop this week and would like to know how to install my external hard drive on it. Do I have to uninstall on current laptop? Any tips and insider secrets much appreciated!

kimberfo,

The WD Passport Ultra should automatically install all required drivers and be ready for file management operations as soon as it is connected into a new computer system. No additional configurations are needed as long as the same base host operating system family is used.

1 Like

I connect my external hard disk to my laptop and tried to install all software of windows because i am a windows user but the two software were not installed,gave an error …what should i do?? and also its speed is too much slow like copying the data to it gives an speed 12MB/Sec. what should i do for this???

Azhar1990 wrote:

I connect my external hard disk to my laptop and tried to install all software of windows because i am a windows user but the two software were not installed,gave an error …what should i do?? and also its speed is too much slow like copying the data to it gives an speed 12MB/Sec. what should i do for this???

What software did not install?

Try restarting the computer and retry the installation.

Make sure connecting the drive directly to an USB port in the computer for better performance. Also, try with the rear ports and not the one’s in the front.

Thank you JStaff … I’ll let you know what happens after I receive the new laptop. I sure hope this works because my current laptop (Dell) is not reading the drive so nothing is getting backed up! :frowning:

Hello again JStaff,

Back to report … so far it’s installed on the new laptop. I may have done the wrong thing by telling Windows (7) to use this device as the back up and it backed up my entire computer. I’ve located the files but wondering now how I set it to back up automatically as documents are revised on the NEW computer. Right now, the SmartWare is showing my old PC as the Backup Source. This needs to change to the new PC!

Also, is it normal, when choosing to eject the device, to get a pop up saying that the device is busy and cannot be removed at this time?? This happened a lot on my other computer and was very inconvenient!

Thanks for your assistance,

Kimberlee

I had a computer trouble shooter retrieve data from my old computer and place it into my WD Passport Ultra External Drive. Now I have my new computer and I don’t know how to read or transfer my old info to new computer, Are there any easy or understandable way to help this not too savy user.

Thank you,

trfort

kimberfo,

Backup behavior is actually controlled by the host computer itself instead of your WD Passport Ultra. As such, you should be able to set full backups for both systems in the control panel.

It is normal as long as the device is actually in use. A hidden application or process may need to be stopped in order to eject your drive safely.

Thank you JStaff. I called tech support and they walked me through it. Wasn’t simple. Thank you for your time and attempts to assist.