Initialising Elements 1023 External portable

My WD Elements 1023 is not recognised in my computer but is in disk management it therefore needs to be initialised and then reformatted and partitioned. I have followed all instructions but when right clicking on red + and then initialise it comes up “This disk is write protected” to my knowledge it isn’t.Can anybody suggest how I proceed.I am not worried about losing data as it is all backed up(I learned this from days gone by!)

Try to write zeros to the drive and then see if possible to initialize.

Otherwise you can replace the unit.

How to low level format or write zeros (full erase) to a WD hard drive or Solid State drive

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1211

I have tied writing zeros but it just comes up error.If I cant recover this disk one way or another it will go in the bin along with a recently purchased 2TB WD Passport. The one I am having trouble with is out of warranty and therefoore that option is out. If I am not successful I shall certainly tell everyone I know to steer clear of anything to do with Western Digital. I bought this brand because the sales asisstant in PC World recommended it as it is the most reliable brand, I hate to rely on any othe make if that is the position. I have an Iomega desktop external HD and that has worked perfectly for the last 5or 6years.Its memory sticks for me in the future!!!