I am havng trouble connecting My Passport 2TB Portable Drive!

Hello, I am not good in English, I am writing from the Canary Islands. I have a My Passport 2tb Portable Hard Drive. 4 days ago I connected the Portable Drive to my laptop to transfer some videos and photos from my holidays. The next day i connected the hard  drive again to my laptop and it became extremely slow. It takes ages to open and appear in my Computer section. After some long minutes I am able to access the hard drive but the transfers takes up to 10 hours between my laptop and hard drive and vice versa. So far i have used about 700 gb on it. What seems to be the problem? my laptop or the hard drive? I havent damaged it at all nor dropped onto the floor. Need help please! thank you

hi Zakynthos. There are a few things that can cause a slow transfer like this. Have you tried a different cable or a different computer to see if that fixes the issue? If that doesn’t work, you may have a damaged partition. I would recommend copying all the data off the drive, this way you have a backup, you always want to have a backup of your data. Then I would recommend a “write zeros” the drive to erase everything and reformat the drive. Then copy your data back over and see if it works. I included some links below that may help.

How to write zeros to a WD Drive

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1211

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response to my issue. I am using the USB 3.0 cable that came with it, the cable is not damaged at all and to have access to another cable it means buying a new WD portable drive, here once we open the items there is no way to return it to the store like in USA. I did tried last nite on a different computer and it showed the same symptoms. That means that my lap top has no problems. I will try the data saving but it will takes ages to do that. Why partitions get damaged?

Thank you:wink:

It’s hard to tell what can cause a partition to get damaged. Sometimes it can happen if the drive is not properly ejected or if a damaged file is copied to the drive and in turn damages the partition.

Hello, I followed your instructions about (write zeros) and it doesnt work. The program doesnt even do anyhting to my WD hard drive. It says that there is an error. What else can I do? Thanks

Zakynthos wrote:

Hello, I followed your instructions about (write zeros) and it doesnt work. The program doesnt even do anyhting to my WD hard drive. It says that there is an error. What else can I do? Thanks

What error are you getting? Sometimes if there is an issue with the partition table of the drive you may need to do a write zeros a second time and see if it works then. Have you tried a different USB cable or doing the write zeros on another computer? I would also make sure that you have the latest version of the DLG software.

Now my laptop is not even detecting the WD portable hard drive. I do not have another USB cable, I tried doing zeros on another computer and I was not successful. Whats wrong now?