How to use WD "My Passport" with Ubuntu Linux

You can install and boot Linux from the “WD My Passport”, I have the one with USB3 500GB. I had some problems with the Grub2 boot however (Ubuntu 11.10 64bits). Symptom: the Linux installed without problems, but it did not boot (no Grub message, just a black screen with a clipping cursor). The same installation did boot on 2 recent systems (USB3 and USB2), but failed on a third system 3 years old (USB2). I tried to repair the grub on the third system but without luck. I tried to reinstall the Linux, it installed without errors but it did not boot correctly.

It seems that on some BIOS versions the boot partition needs to be at the start of the disk (below cylinder 1023). On other BIOS-es, I could install the grub files in a partition at the end of the disk. To be on the safe side, you should use a boot partition at the start of the disk, below cylinder 1023. It will be maximum 8GB, so you will need a separate partition for the root. After this, it worked well on my USB2 system (Asus K52JR). I have the last firmware 1.010

First I thought that the problem is related to the SES device that seen in the boot menu along with MyPassport (the actual disk). However, the solution to make the boot from USB to work is just to create the small boot partition at the start of the disk.

Hope this will help. For some reason I could not “Reply” on the topic regarding “How to boot linux from My passport” (disabled button)