How to transfer files to new computer using My Passport external hard-drive?

I have files backed up on an external WD My Passport drive.  I want to transfer them to a new computer.  What do I need to do.

The external drive is currently connected to my old PC which has Win XP Home Edition.

The new computer will have Win 7 installed.

Is it just a simple matter of installing the WD Smartware software on the new machine first and then attaching the external hard drive to copy the files?

Or is there something else that needs to be done.

Thanks.

Hello,

Is it just a simple matter of installing the WD Smartware software on the new machine first and then attaching the external hard drive to copy the files?

Yes, once you install the software, you will be able to retrieve the files if they were backed up with the WD Smartware.

Please note that the backup software comes preloaded on the drive, so just plug in the drive to the new computer and it should ask you to install the software.

1 Like

Can you clarify, the smartware software did not come with my passport elite whenI bougt it. So I now have to purchase it? Is there a way top restore the files without the software?

Thanks

Hello chris51,

In your case, we have to versions of the WD Passport Elite. So, if your drive came in with the WD Smartware software, you will be able to download the software for free and to restore your files.

Please note, if you have the version on the following link, http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=204&lang=en  you will need to use the same software to restore the files that you used to backup the files.

I’m going to have the same issue but I cannot find My Passport install disk.  The SN is [Deleted]. P/N is WDBABM7500ABK-00

Where can I download it or does just plugging in my Passport do the trick for me?  Moving from XP to Win 7 Premium.

Just joined the community and don’t know how to start a new thread.  Can somone please help me out?

I am also trying to transfer files from my WD portable drive (WDBAAR5000ABK_00) to new PC running Windows8.1. When I plug the drive in, it opens in My Computer and I can see the files. But how do I install them? As far as I can tell no software was installed when I attached the drive. The drive didn’t come with separate software so it must be on the drive. Can you help?

Thanks

I have a similar situation - but I had to re-install Windows 7.  I installed the WD anywhere backup software from my external Passport Elite and am trying to restore all my backed up files.

I keep gettin the message that the operating system is not supported.  “WD Anywhere Restore cannot be run under this version of Windows.”  I know that’s not true because I used it before I re-installed W7.

What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to create all the folders - shouldn’t “restore” also restore all the folders?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have backed up all my files from my Windows 7 laptop, which has now died.

Iwill be replacing it with a Macbook pro - but I’ll then have to re-format MyPassport, prior to using it, which will erase all the files - so how do I get my files on my PC formatted MyPassport to my new Mac?