How to eliminate potential problems on USB Powered Drives and keep them healthy

HI! I have WD My Passport 250GB. And Win7 install Initio Default Controller. I cant see my WD. What happening?

There is a problem with the drive contact customer service. Either the firmware is corrupt or the bridge board is damaged.

Joe

So I followed the insturctions on above on my 1tb drive that was basically shutting down all the time. I ran HD Tune and  HDD Regenerator 2011 trial  with the prescan that basically said  all of my sectors were bad. I went to purchase the full version and now my computer/s won’t recognize the drive at all! I have tried cleaning the usb ports, new cables etc and I hear and see the drive turn on but it won’t show up on my computer. Any suggestions at this point?

Before I did the above my computer would at least boot the drive and I had access to my files and now nothing.

Thanks

Shaun

Can you see the drive, or the USB enclosure, in Device Manager? Disk Management?

How does Microsoft’s UVCView utility see the external drive?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe

I am experiencing the same problem as you guys. This is so frustrating. Read Mabkay solutions but with no success. 

I have A My Book 500GB external HDD which was working fine for the past 4 years and approx 2 months ago started having trouble connecting to the lap top. It sometimes took hours to be recognised and now it won’t get recognised at all.

My HDD has its own power cord (connected directly to a wall socket) and the light works as well.

I have tried connecting the HDD to 2 different lap tops (Vista, Win7), different USB sockets and also tried 2 different USB cords. Nothing seems to help.

I cant see the drive on Device Manager (Disk Drives, Other Devices) and  the HDD Regenerator couldnt provide much help either.

I am helpless. This is my backup drive and all my old data is stored on it. (The source data is long gone…)

I’d truly appreciate your help

I have a WD My Passport 1tb external hard drive 0730.  It will not work with my notebook.  I have the impression from schematics I have just read that this drive probably needs one or two amps rather than the nominal half amp usb maximum to function.  That is probably why it is recognized in all my desktop computers but not in my Acer Aspire 7551G notebook, which is what I bought it for.  I can see it in disk management, etc. but because it is not recognized I have problems identifying and/or restoring images created in backups. Nova reports, "I have found a disk that I cannot work with.  Will a powered usb hub of, say, 1 amp or 2 amps, enable windows to see it on my notebook or do I have to buy one of those two usb y adapters that will take away all my ports?

I ran this exe and got the following error:

—===>Device Information<===—

ConnectionStatus:                  FailedEnumeration Current Config Value:              0x00  → Device Bus Speed: Low Device Address:                    0x00 Open Pipes:                           0 *!*ERROR:  No open pipes!

===>Device Descriptor<=== *!*ERROR:  bLength of 0 incorrect, should be 18 bLength:                           0x00 bDescriptorType:                   0x00 bcdUSB:                          0x0000 bDeviceClass:                      0x00 *!*ERROR:  Device enumeration failure

Any ideas?

very helpful.

Thanx a ton

Chi

Hi I have problem assessing my passport 500gb external hard disk.  I keep getting a message says “data error(cyclic redundancy check).”  if i tried again i got a message that says “incorrect parameters” and then it will prompt me to format the disks. since the disk is almost full, should i reformat it, i might loose all the data inside it… Really need urgent help on this

Dear Community , 

I am also facing a similar problem with 70% bad sectors in my 500 gB WD passport …

i treid all the steps mentioned by MABKAY and started regenerating sectors. But unfortunately the process of regeneration gets stucked in between after regenerating few sectors and i get a message to restart my system and start the HDD regenerator again. so i have to start Regeneration process several times and for Sectors almost close to 0.97 Billion its a bit complex and tiresome.

i will try to post the screen shot for error in case if its needed.  

would love to look furthur in this … please provide me guidance to overcome the same.

thank you everyone for all the ncecessary help and feedbacks. 

thanks and regards,

Ashish

I doubt you’ll read this, but I’d get the drive replaced.  that many bad sectors means that the drive is failing.

Great info. HELP. My PC crashed because of a virus while my Passport 2500bmv was plugged in. I was not able to go thru the proper disconnect procedure and now I cannot see any of the files I have saved. How do I access those files?  PS My Passport registers in my F drive and I am able to add new files, however all my previous files appear to still be there because of available space remaining.

Thanks in advance,

Forrest

This is the best route to recovery your data off of the External hard drive… dowload and burn Ubunuu to a CD.  purchase a new external hard drive.  restart your computer and boot off of the disc.  Once in Ubuntu, mount both drives and copy one folder at a time.  This will take a long time, but all your data will be intact.

Please help me… i have spendt hours and hours trying to fix this problom.

I have a WD Elements External Hard Drive! 1.5 TB

The Problem, when i plug it in, NOTHING happens, no pling sound, no reaction from my computers at all! it dosent show up anywhere… i have tryed downloading new drivers, diffrent pc’s, windows xp, vista, and 7…

Nothing works!

it powers up fine, the little with light is flashing, all seems good… Just no reaction at all from my or any other computer, have tryed at least 6 diffrent.

Here’s all the info on the back:

P/N: WDBAAU0015HBK-01

S/N: [deleted]

3310B

R/N :D3C

CCCBAA

Please help me!

I accidentally :neutral_face:dropped my WD My Passport essential on the floor. Now whenever I plug my external HD to any computer it takes 5-10 mins to install its drivers(probably the WD SES Driver). After installing its drivers, the virtual CD appears in the computer but it can’t be opened.  I tried installing and reinstalling all drivers including the WD SES, also tried opening the external HD using SmartWare but it says that my password is invalid. I also have checked the Device Manager and it detects the external HD and the virtual CD. What I’m suppose to do, please do help me. MY THESIS IS ON THE HD AND I WANT TO RECOVER THE WHOLE THING. Please help.

i hope someone will see this message and would be able to help me.

Simply my WD Passport doesn’t appear in My Computer. It appears in Device Proprieties, in the control panel under Devices, but not in My Computer so i can’t access to see files inside it.

I tried to open the HD case and when i saw that it was impossible to plug the HD on a normal SATA connector, my face turns into a mournful figure.

So i tried to install every HD software possible, from HD tune to HDD regenerator but nothing can be done because everytime i m not able to make Mypassport drive appear on the devices list of the software…

what can i do ?

Hey, thanks for the info! It was very helpful.

Sean DeC.

Hi there!

Now I have exectly the same issue. I also have a WD My Passport 1tb. It works well with my previous laptop, now it keeps dropping with my new Toshiba laptop, the system can recgnise it, but it keeps connecting and disconnecting again and again.

Have you solved your problem? Regards

@Fzabkar and Mabkay

Let me tell you this from direct practical experience: I had a 1TB MyBook that would seemingly at random lock up the system and itself. Also from time to time the disk would just disconnect itself from the Windows Explorer. The drive letter would simply disappear like as if I pulled out the USB cable. The problem would go away if I disconnected and reconnected the drive, both USB and power cables. The problem would keeping coming back sooner or later. Well, I got around to running HDD Regenerator and it found a narrow swath of about 20 consecutive bad sectors, right in the middle of the disk.

I had HDD Regenerator go over the entire surface, took about 16 hours. I had it test the surface. It did not find anything more than the 20 corrupt sectors. To completely regenerate a 1TB disk at USB 2.0 speeds would have taken 460 hours! So I settled a for a thorough scan instead.
Then I zeroed the drive with WD DLG.
And I full formatted the disk with the standard windows explorer window.

And now, the disk is 100% healthy, been that way for quite some time. No more seemingly random disconnects or slow-downs or anything. Perfectly reliable.

A few months later I got to looking at my logs and discovered that the few files affected by those damaged sectors had a time/date stamp curiously close to the time of a total system shutdown and re-start. And a few days later after those files were saved I had to replace a USB hub that also refused to go into 2.0 mode. And to top it all off I checked the UPS logs for other systems (this system was not protected) and noted power fluctuations to the minute that matched with the suspect files. And thus the bad sectors. I checked a few more windows logs and file transfer logs too. And everything seemed to match up with the brownout conditions!! At this point I felt quite confident the reason for the disk failure was power related. I consider it a closed case and 1 disk saved from the junk heap.

I completely understand the electronics theory involved in power supplies and how it comes together to make a working consumer-level product. I’ve designed enough circuits over the years to positively tell you that the only solution to clean power is pure DC or a complete UPS that is isolated and does its own AC-DC-AC conversion; with a battery in the middle. These surge suppressor strips and stuff you buy at the dollar store only work against spikes. And even then their MOV’s take time to react. They also won’t filter all the resonances and harmonics present during a brownout.

Know that there are harmonics and all kinds of inductive nastiness when you’re powering an external disk and a PC from the mains during brown out conditions. You’ve got ground loops, fluctuating and sagging voltages, spikes & surges, harmonics & resonances, everything! A nearby motor can have its field collapse with the sudden loss of power, and if it is still connected to the mains nearby it can introduce its own dirty power for a few microseconds.

Ideally the tiny power protection circuits and regulators scattered throughout your systems internals would supply a perfect 5V and 12V to the hard disk and other components. This isn’t the case all the time. They’re mostly there for dealing with connector noise and internally generated noise. They’re also quite busy setting up the voltage levels in the first place. And any outside disturbance will affect them. You can take that to the bank.

Furthermore, be aware that the frequency of magnetic reversals at the tip of the head writing element is close to 1Gb/sec. And did you know that the data bits on your disk are analog?? Yes that’s right! The signal put out by the head is an analog wave that bounces up and down smoothly. Not the zeros and ones depicted in layman’s illustrations of how disks work. This is all a very delicate operation! Any mistake or power fluctuation can render a short number of sectors “weak” if the disk is conducting write operations. This is sometimes enough to trip-up the background error checking that most WD disks do as a matter of course to protect your data. The disk can endlessly try fixing a weak sector and in the proccess cause your system to lock-up, until you disconnect the “faulty” usb drive. This can give the impression of a failed disk.

So if power problems have caused your failure, this HDD Regenerator could be one way to fix it. Assuming that’s what really happened. You need to know that for sure. Because, HDD Regenerator won’t fix bad hardware.

Enjoy!

Going back to your earlier post. The part we don’t comprehend easily, or even recognize as a problem in the first place is ground loops and electrical resonances/leaks between two devices which have two separate power supplies.

This is a problem when you have two totally different designs of power supplies. A laptop power system with battery and an AC powered USB disk. Pretty different I’d say. You can get back EMF going and all sorts of polarity reversals as one supply shuts down earlier than the other.

Also understand that the typical PC box power supply is all too happy to kill the power positively and solidly when AC input conditions are not “right”. This is a good thing. It is not the same for AC powered USB disks. These things can linger on and keep-trying to work in a brownout condition. And there are times when the USB cable itself can become part of the power circuit.