Occasional Contributor

How do I delete / remove the WD "Smartware" bloat-ware partition from my external hard drive ?

How do I delete / remove the WD "Smartware" bloat-ware partition from my external hard drive ?

Hi. 

Question is in the title. :smileywink:

Thanks in advance for any help !

Further info.

I've had this drive for a couple years now, and always wanted this stupid bloat-ware removed from it, and have tried many things to get rid of this dumb-ware occasionally, but have only had the opportunity to completely reformat it recently, and still cannot get rid of the "bloat-ware". :smileymad:

I find this so annoying. I have bought about 3 other WD drives since then, and have been happy to see this **bleep** is no longer built into those drives [I would never buy one again if this had continued]

I tried reformatting the drive to fat32 in Mac using disk utility, which didn't work, AND in windows, using the traditional reformat tool, and also with a program called HP USB disk storage format tool ;

NONE of which has worked.

I really liked the ability to password protect the drive, but could this sort of thing not be available as a download, smaller than 615mb!?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: How do I delete / remove the WD "Smartware" bloat-ware partition from my external hard

There is some of it that you can't delete like the unlocker. 

Joe 

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Community VIP
Hammey

Re: How do I delete / remove the WD "Smartware" bloat-ware partition from my external hard

Hi check this link it tells you how to remove the vcd. http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3835

Occasional Contributor

Hi. 

Thanks Joe S and Hammey for your responses.

Hammey :
Does this process actually remove the vcd? As far as I can tell from that article, it looks like it only HIDES the VCD, without actually removing it?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

I think it only hides the VCD.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Contributor

Cheers Joe !
That's the impression I got, and the same impression I receive from all the posts I can find in this forum and in articles and posts elsewhere.

to WD.

I'm really disgusted WD hasn't posted a simple and easily accessible fix for this, especially with all the other posts in these forums with users showing their hatred of this rubbish.

I shouldn't have to waste so much of my time to get what is essentially pre-installed malware off my drive.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD