External drive not showing up in my computer or disk management

Ok im seeing very similar problems on here but no real straight answer. I plug in my 320 gb passport, it showes up in my devices as passport 070A . however, it does not show up in my computer like it used to, and it shows up in diskmangment as “unknown disk” with 2000 gb. This is what im dealing with:

than in my computer it shows up as a CD Drive.

can some one please help me!!! my comp hd is filling up fast  bc i havent been able to use this.

Have you try to power cycle your computer and try to check if the cables are properly connected to your computer? :confounded:

yes, iv tried everything iv read on here. its not a cable issue.  cables properly connected to computer??? come on now, what kinda question is that. if u dont have a solution for me dont bother writing ne thing at all. 

If the drive says unknown something is secure “you must initialize the drive”. If you initialize it you will erase all the information of your external drive. Most of the times when cases like this happens is almost impossible to get back your information. Here is the information how to initiliaze the drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1018/session/L2F2LzIvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzI3MjgwODA3L3NpZC9GKm9STVBPaw%3D%3D

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.  

bigtim3727 wrote:

yes, iv tried everything iv read on here. its not a cable issue.  cables properly connected to computer??? come on now, what kinda question is that. if u dont have a solution for me dont bother writing ne thing at all. 

Well some older computers the USB port on front is USB 1.0 and a lot of people try and connect through a hub. People also use cables longer that the one supplied. All can cause problems. Since you know so much nore than everybody else figure it out yourself.

Joe

sorry to rub  you the wrong way joe. all i wanted to know if i can salvage this drive and that i tried everything else that has been suggested. i never said i know more than anybody else, if i did, i wouldnt be asking on here to begin with. so please dont give me snide comments.

i have tried this. it pops up " the drive is write protected"  the drive worked perfectly, i never disconnect it from the computer without “safely removing hardware”. if i loose the information on the drive it wont be the end of the world. i just  want it to work again. im pretty sure i dont have a warrentee anymore since its been over a year. 

The pics still haven’t been released, there are others pending too. What does it say in Disk Management besides the size? Something like Raw or Unallocated? Frequently when the size is way off like that there is a problem with the drive or it’s boards. Try running the WD DLG utility and see what that shows it’s listed in downloads for your drive. It wouldn’t hurt to check your account and check on the warranty. In the past some were one year and others were 2 years.

Joe