External Hard drive does not show up in my computer

Question: External Hard drive does not show up in my computer.

Answer: Click on “Start” and search for “Disk Management” and then delete the partition that does not have a letter. Now create a new partition and choose the letter you want. That’s all. Your hard drive should now be ready.

I am a computer technician in Ottawa, Canada.

Please email me if I solved your problem or if you are still having problems with your hard drive let me know. I will be happy to answer your question. Visit my website http://www.taleamsystems.com/

and what happens to the data? :slight_smile:

Obviously the data will be formatted. I would highly suggest hiring an expert to recover data prior to formatting the hard drive. In many cases I would highly suggest not to recover data yourself. Again “leave the data recovery to the experts”.

Taleam Systems is a Computer Repair company in Ottawa, Canada. We offer affordable rate starting only at $30/hr. We offer: data recovery services, virus removal, wireless networking, printer repair and computer training. If you need computer service in Ottawa, Book Online.

Visit our website anytime http://www.taleamsystems.com/

I have been googling all sort’s of thing’s trying to find a solution to my problem…

But I have found that over the years computers actually enjoy giving me the most random errors, and unsolvable problems.

I bought this WD My book essential 1TB external hard drive this morning.

Came home plugged it in, yay there it is on my computer lots of space to use.

But this isn’t good enough for me, I need it to work on my playstation.

To do so the HD must be formatted to FAT32 or at least have a partition that is FAT32, and have a few folders on the drive for the playstaion to recognize it. No big deal I have another HD setup this way.

From what I read, windows will not format a drive to FAT32, so from the website i was readin I was told to download and use a program called switchblade. Which will easily and quickly format any drive any way you want, like computer magic!

So I run the program, and then supposed to delete the existing partition, and create a new one. So I delete the existing partition, and of course what is supposed to be the easy part is the part that destroy’s my entire existance.

I would try to create a new partition as FAT32. but it would just have some sort of stupid **bleep** error, or just not want to do it… and then switchblade crashed. And everytime I try to open switchblade it just freezes and I get stuck with “windows is trying to find a solution to the problem” Which is microsft speak for “this isn’t going to work and we have no idea why, just close it and give up.”.

So I searched and searched to see what the **bleep** was going on, and what could be done about it.

And I am just clueless.

The closest solution I have found was a suggestion to delete the drivers, restart pc, then plug the HD back in and let it reinstall and everyone is happy.

Of course this doesn’t work for me.

I’ve read to go into device management and set a new drive letter so it’s recognized in my computer.

Nope.

I went through a short problem of pluggin in the HD and getting the classic “USB device not recognized” SOmething I often get when I plug in my phone. But then I can plug in my phone 100 times the exact same way and it just come’s on whenever it wants to.

This is a slightly older laptop and I know I dont have USB 3.0, but I dont know if these are 1.0 or 2.0.

Anyway, now i no longer get that problem. I just have frustration and no idea what to do.

I go into device manager and I see WD drive management devices. Click that, WD SES device.

I have went through the process of uninstalling this, having the hard-drive install itself again, and no change. still doesn’t show up in my computer.

I go into device management, and the drive isn’t recognized there.

Down by my clock I can click safely remove hardware and it lists “Eject Mybook 1140”.

So my driver’s are there. Device manager knows the HD is there.

My usb port knows there is a hard drive plugged into it.

So what the **bleep** is the problem?

currently running Wester Digital Lifeguard Diagnositcs. And writing full zeros to the entire drive.

It recognized the drive without a prblem, so again my computer knows it is there I just can’t access it. This makes no sense to me… but whatever.

Apparently only 13 more hours to go and this thing will be a fresh format. here’s top hoping it makes a difference.

Hey there

My problem is slightly different.

The hard drive, well three in fact, do not turn on.

I cannno believe they have all died.

When I plug the AC in, the light turns on for less than a second.

There is no noise at all from the unit.

Help!!!