Error messages on new computer

My external drive works fine on my old computer, and on other computers I’ve tried, however when attempting to access through my new HP computer with Windows 8, I mostly get an error message “G:\is not accessible.  The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”  Occasionally, if I click it shortly after connecting, it gives the following message:  “G:\is not accessible.  The parameter is incorrect.”

Today, after having it plugged in for a while I actually managed to see everything on the drive, and open files, views scanned photo’s etc.  Next time I went to look at it I am getting the error messages again.

Can anyone help me with this problem?  I thought initially that it was totally incompatible with my new computer, however I did see everything earlier today, so I know it can work.  What do I need to do to make this computer read the drive and save to the drive?

Try using a different cable.

Make sure to backup all data and perform a test on the drive.

You can try this:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve tried different cables, and I’ve tried plugging it in to different ports…  Seems that I still get random error messages coming up, some times it works perfectly, other times throws the error messages all the time.   I’ve even tried keeping the drive plugged in while the computer is shut down and restarted, again, random results, works sometimes and not others!

I understand. Then try testing the unit with the steps I provided on the post above and make sure your data is backed up.