Elements SE 1TB won't function properly with USB 3.0 port - works normally with USB 2.0

I just purchased a new HP Envy H8 which has two USB 3.0 ports on it.  Machine is Windows 8. I was thrilled to have this to use with my WD Elements SE 1TB USB 3.0 drive, however, I am not having much luck.

When I try to copy large amounts of data (i.e. all of my music or pictures), the transfer starts, but after a few seconds, I either get a message that the data can not be found on the drive, or sometimes it just acts like it’s finished, but clearly is not after only 3-4 seconds. When I look, only a small amount of the files were actually copied over (i.e. maybe 5 music folders out of 300).

When I plug the drive into a USB 2.0 port, it is obviously slower, but at least the data actually copies thoroughly.

I looked online and didn’t see any sort of drivers that I could install that might address this, especially given Win 8.

In case it matters, my hard drive is a 2TB 7200 rpm SATA (drive that came in the Envy H8 1445). Not sure of any specs beyond that.

Any thoughts?

Did you check Windows and HP for updates to make sure there aren’t any updates since Windows 8 is just released? Did you purchase the external before Windows 8 was released? It sounds like some drive issue either in Windows 8 or the USB chain.

Joe

I did force win8 to look for updates and robooted this morning. Have not tried it since that. Did not check HP specifically. Haven’t found where to do that. I purchased the drive about 6 months ago, to use with my winXP and win Vista machines.

Thanks

Did you reformat the drive or  just use as is? I’ve seen in a lot of places that pople seem to be havinf more problems with USB 3 that when USB 2 came out. 

Joe

I did not reformat since I’m using it to try and get my files from my old computer to my new one.

Since it’s a new computer I’d contact HP for service.

Joe

They are, understandably, saying that all USB 3.0 drives should work fine.