Driver Error Message: WD SES Device USB Device

Is it necessary to even install the driver?  I have disabled the VCD.  I recently reinstalled the OS (Windows XP Pro) on my computer.  Plugging in the WD MyBook hard drive gives me the same error everyone else is getting.  However,  I ignore the error and still have complete access to all the files on the WD drive.

So why do I need this driver to be installed?  Just to avoid having an error pop up?  That seems useless.  Why has WD created such a convoluted system.  I want the external drive to function the way an external hard drive is expected to (no drivers required, just plug in USB and go), especially after having turned off the very bad VCD software.  Now every time I plug in this extenal drive to a different computer, I get an error as well.  Thanks WD!!  It is after all an external drive, not meant to be connected to just one computer.  Very bad decision making and implementation.

WD, you would have been better suited to partner with a real backup software solution and bundle it on your drive and let the user try it out if they decide to install it.  That way the backup system only works on the computers that the user wants it to.

I will not be buying another extenal drive that has these types of issues, from any manufacturer!

1 Like