Drive spins, light is on, recognized in bios and in device manager but not showing in explorer

Hello,

My girlfriend put her heavy external hard drive on top of mine, which overheated and never worked again, so I lost all my data.

Then I bought a new one and started putting data on it and rearranging all the stuff I had left. Then today, my girlfriend dumped me so I decided to watch a movie when at **bleep**ing midnight the phone starts ringing so I hurry to pick up since my brother is working early. While hurrying up, my WD HDD falls on the floor. I run to the phone, but the jackass who called had hung up. I get back to my hard drive and test it, not working anymore @#$@#?$@$# What a @#$?@?#$ day.

Anyway, I know most of you will tell me it’s busted and I have to return it and pay a million dollars to get my data back, but just in case there is something, can you check these facts, because it looks like it’s almost working:

• Detected correctly in the BIOS

• When connected in Windows, USB connect chime is heard, but there is no autoplay

• Not showing in Explorer

• Not showing in Computer management

• Showing up in DEvice manager, as “WD Drive mheanagement devices” → “WD SES Device”

• There is no yellow question mark on the device yet it says: “No drivers are installed for this device”, tried reinstalling the driver, did not work

• The drive is spinning normally

• The LED on the side is lit as before

Thanks guys, hope someone can help

Im having the same problem right now with my passport elite right now.

I had recently started having problems with my computer and i installed norton and soon after i completed my installation of norton antivirus, my hard drive dissapeared. The bottom light only lights up and blinks when i try to access it on my pc. I can see it in my device manager, also if i try and F-Disk it, it will show but i cant do anything except delete the master MBR. I cannot create a partition on the drive and all of my information is gone. Im not concerned about my info, i just want the drive to work again.

Any suggestions?!

DaRudeSticFigur wrote:

Im having the same problem right now with my passport elite right now.

I had recently started having problems with my computer and i installed norton and soon after i completed my installation of norton antivirus, my hard drive dissapeared. The bottom light only lights up and blinks when i try to access it on my pc. I can see it in my device manager, also if i try and F-Disk it, it will show but i cant do anything except delete the master MBR. I cannot create a partition on the drive and all of my information is gone. Im not concerned about my info, i just want the drive to work again.

Any suggestions?!

Have you checked Disk Management?

Start by typing the following into your Run prompt:  diskmgmt.msc

(You may have to be logged in as administrator)

From Disk Management you may be able to see your device. It is promising that you can see the device in Device Manager, hopefully the partition can be verified or the disk initialised from Disk Management. Another tool, TestDisk may provide further diagnostics and is widely recommended on this forum.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Good luck

NaturalBornCamp wrote:

• Detected correctly in the BIOS
  • When connected in Windows, USB connect chime is heard, but there is no autoplay
  • Not showing in Explorer
  • Not showing in Computer management
  • Showing up in DEvice manager, as “WD Drive mheanagement devices” → “WD SES Device”
  • There is no yellow question mark on the device yet it says: “No drivers are installed for this device”, tried reinstalling the driver, did not work
  • The drive is spinning normally
  • The LED on the side is lit as before

Have you tried connecting the device to another computer yet?

Similar to the other poster, it is promising that the device shows up in BIOS; keep us posted (pun intended!) of any updates? Cheers!

Well it shows in disk management but I can’t access or establish a partition but ill try that program when I get home today and let u know if that helps

no luck still…

well ive tried a few different solutions and read multiple post on how to restore my partition and ill tell you all what ive found:

-my hard drive is showing in multiple programs as it has bad sectors and its reading that at least 30gb of information is still accecible for recovery…even though i had 400gb worth of stuff…

-my partition and mbr are non existant anymore…just gone…

-shows in not only my bios but i can pull it up in f-disk (yeah old school) and disk management but i cannot change anything with the hard drive in either.

-last, it shows up working perfectly fine in my device management…

I need ASSISTANCE

Hi,

Have you tried actual data recovery software?

From past experience I can personally recommend GetDataBack NTFS (they also have an FAT option). Being as you can access their the drive -at least to some extent -perhaps such a program will be able to rebuild some of the data. Just remember to copy (restore) any salvaged data to a *seperate* drive.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Sorry I can’t offer more expert advice, good luck

Gary