Drive Not Recognized

I have a WD Elements SE (Portable) 1 TB drive that was working for a year. But now the drive is not recognized when I plug it in. The drive still spins up and I feel the vibration of it spinning when I touch it.

I tried switching the usb cable with another and get the same result. I use the short mini usb cables that WD gives in the box. I also tried multiple computers and the drive is not recognized on any of them (Windows 2000, XP,  7).

I booted a Linux Live CD (Parted Magic) and ran the Test Disk program. Linux saw the WD drive, but said there was no partition. The strange thing is it saw the drive as 2TB, but the drive is only 1 TB. I ran the deep scan and it reported a partition read error at every sector.

One Windows 7 machine did see the drive. But it thought it was unformatted space and prompted me to format (I did not because I have data on the drive). I went into the Windows 7 partition tool to see if I could see it, but this Windows 7 machine also sees it as a 2TB drive, when it is only a 1TB drive.

Is there anyway to recover my data? The drive is USB only and does not have the SATA interface if I were to open it… I have another drive of the same model that still works great. If I were to open them are there any parts I could switch out to try to make it work?

EDIT: I downloaded the WD drive utility. The drive passed all the SMART tests. But the WD utlity sees the drive as 2TB, when it’s a 1TB drive. I did not run any of the another dianostic tets because I didn’t know if it would write to disk and I don’t want to lose data.

i have same problem,drive working fine now i cant open s/n [Deleted]

my mac wont recognize drive ,it is my backup

any help/

I’m having the same issue on my mac. “Not recognized” – Time machine won’t mount it. 

I had to go to the Apple store and buy a new hard drive; one year of usage is NOT good.