Delayed Write Failed (?)

Hi,

I don’t know where to start and I’m upset so I’m going to try to explain when it started to see how it began, and what happened since then, so prepare for a wall of text.

Last week, I got a 1TB external HD WD Passport at an IT Store with all my data(music/videos/images and other stuff) backed up in it (I asked the guys at the store to do it), from the previous External HD which had died since then.

I was browsing through my Windows Media Player 11 where I was rebuilding it’s library ->(Started last Tuesday the 9th).The tracks’ names were on display, though, like in previous situations of folder/directory misplacement (though on a lesser, smaller scale), I seemingly had to drag folders with said music onto WMP11 to “fix” the missing music files as well as redisplaying album covers, until I double click on a track I assuming had to “replace” like I had to do with the others, and to my surprise it played, like there was no folder/directory misplacement whatsoever, I tried playing other tracks and they were all working, execute each starting track of an album and it’s cover was showing up, so this meant to me that I didn’t had to drag and drop folders onto WMP.

By last Friday, on the whim that I didn’t need to elapse time in dragging and dropping, I tried to play a track that I was sure it was working aaand it failed saying it couldn’t find the file corresponding to that track, so I had to resume dragging and dropping, but I didn’t see much emergency in it, I did it at a slow pace and bit by bit.

When Sunday came, I was dragging and droping on an album when my pointer/cursor displayed itself as busy, I clicked on WMP 11 where it said “Not responding” on the bar. So I opened Task Manager to force WMP’s termination, did so, when I get a Windows notification on the bottom right corner of my screen say something like " Windows was unable to save all data for [directory/fileA]. The data was lost, please save somewhere else". And this notification kept popping up with a few variations [directory/fileB] [directory/fileC] and so on and so on until a particular variation of the pop up with the expression $Mft in it. I searched it on google and it was called a Delayed Write Error.

And everytime I tried to access E:\ (the External HD) or something within it, the thing just blocked like WMP, and like it, I went to force terminate through Task Manager in Apps tab, but it wasn’t happening, instead my Task Bar disappeared and wasn’t reappearing, so out of an act of recklessness because I could use anything, not even hardware safe removal, I unplugged the USB cable from my WD Passport, and it unblocked, my task bar showed up again. So on and on I plugged it in and it kept blocking again, I was even trying to browse through my main/ internal drive, my desktop, clicked on Start Menu and it wasn’t showing up, forcing to use Task Manager again, unplug the USB cable again. It’s like my WD Passport was severly affecting Windows Explorer. And everytime I plugged it in so I could run Malwarebytes or CHKDSK they froze like other things did and they were unblocked once again by unplugging without safe removal. And now everytime I plug it in, after every 2 minutes more or less, I hear a snipping sound of sorts coming from my Passport, the sound is like when you open a Zippo lighter, something like that.

I check to see if the HD shows on Device Manager and it does, but when I check through ‘My Computer’ folder, it doesn’t show up, the only HD that appears is the internal one.

I searched the Web for this problem, and it talks about altering something in the Registry to get things going, about the possibility of having a virus that I would have to delete manually through safe mode, among other things some of them i’m not taking my chances in doing.

I don’t what to do, I’m considering reporting this problem to the guys at the store where I bought my Passport, but intend to do that as a last resort.

What do you think it could be and how can it be solved?

The first thing you could try is testing the drive to see if any errors on the unit.

You can also defrag and reformat to clear out any possible file issues.

Maybe you could try a different media player and different file type and post back the results.

I tried all of those things, I tried to use VLC Player for the music and attempted to run a chkdsk on it but everything that envolved accessing/using the drive ended up freezing.

Edit:

Can the delayed Write error be caused if I don’t have the driver installed?