Copying files to/from WD Essential SE HD take forever

Dear Gurus,

I have a few WD external HD (all USB 2.0) and recently I bought my first WD Essential SE external HD (USB 3.0 & USB 2.0), however I’m having problems with it.

My laptop has 2xUSB 3.0 ports and 1xUSB 2.0; all my WD external HD (USB 2.0) works perfectly using any of those USB ports except for the WD Essential SE external HD.

The driver (WD SES Device v 1.0.9.0) was correctly installed in Windows-7 (intel core i7) as well as the WD smartware software (v 1.4.3.4). The firmware revision of the WD Essential SE external HD is 1.014

As soon as I plug the WD Essential SE external HD to the laptop in any of the USB ports, the windows system recognize it properly and also it can be seen by WD smartware software, the Quick SMART status & Quick Drive Test passed normally. However, if I try to copy any file or group of files (i.e 160Mb file) from my laptop HD or from any of the other WD external HD to the WD Essential SE the operation takes forever.

Copying one file (204Mb) from any other WD to the laptop HD takes around 2 (two) sec

Same file from the laptop HD to any of the other WD external HD takes around 9 (nine) sec

Same file from laptop HD to WD Essential SE takes around 24 (twenty four) sec

Same file from WD Essential SE to laptop HD takes around 1 (one) sec

Same file from other WD external HD to WD Essential SE takes around 26 (twenty six) sec

Same file from WD Essential SE to other WD external HD takes around 10 (ten) sec

Any help you can provide is appreciated

WD Essentials drives are somewhat slow related to others. This is due to inbuilt encryption technology. Honestly, I don’t see any problem in your timing figures and bare I mind that if you copy same file repeatedly from different drive to another, Windows will NOT waste time on reading subjected file each time. It just uses cached image from RAM to write to the destination.

Also don’t forget Essentials ES drives have 8 sec sleeping disorder.

Try using a software called teracopy for copying files. It improves the copy speed to the max just incase other programs are accessing your drive

Thanks, Teracopy software improve a lot

However speed is VERY slow, copying one folder (285Gb, 335300 files) from one WD Passport Studio (WDPS) to the WD Passport Essential SE (WDPESE) took more than 12hrs (at least it did not crash as before, GREAT!!)… any advice to find out why the low transfer speed? any way to improve it?

Both WD external HD are conected to USB 3.0 ports and the laptop was not doing any other task or accesing files from those HD’s. While copying maximum speed from Teracopy software was 9.5Mb/s and minimum speed was 73 Bytes/s.

Laptop has 8Gb (Samsung DDR3 1333Mhz) RAM with i7 intel core processor 1.73Ghz with latest BIOS and windows 7 x64 with HD Samsung SSD PM800 2.5" 256GB

WD SES Device version is 1.0.7.2

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controler driver version is 2.0.4.0

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub driver version is also 2.0.4.0

WD SmartWare version 1.4.3.4

WDPESE  external HD model WDC WD 10TMVW-11ZSMS0 Firmware revision 1.014

WDPS external HD model WDC WD5000BEVT-00ZAT0