Connecting a Passport to a router using a hub

I want to connect Passports to our router using a powered 3.0 USB hub.  When I connect one Passport to the router hub, I see the Passport just fine.  When I connect a 3.0 powered hub to the router and plug the Passport into the hub, I do not see the Passport.  If I plug thumb drives into the hub, I see them just fine but I don’t see the Passport.  Settings? Something else?

Hello,

USB hubs are not supported.  Also the My Passport drive has been designed to work while plugged in directly to the computer USB port. Using it with a router will make the WD Smartware software unusable.

Take a look at this link:

Problems using a USB hard drive with a USB hub, PCI card, or PC card 

One other thing is do not use a USB cable longer than the one supplied. That can cause problems too.

Joe

This is in reply to the suggestions which I have been suggested up to now.  The Passport drives each work fine when connected to the router directly.  If I connect the hub to my computer, I have no problem accessing both routers.  This implies to me that the hub is OK and the computer is OK.  If the hub is ok, the Passport works ok with the router, and the computer is ok, why does inserting the hub between the router and the Passport(s), cause the Passports to be invisible?

Hubs are addressed differently than if you directly connect a device. Because of this, the drive may not be detected. It’s typically not a problem with a piece being faulty, it is how the router tries to address the different pieces of hardware so that it can communicate with them.

Does this mean that I cannot use a hub with the router?

That sounds like it may be the case. Each piece works individually so it doesn’t look like bad hardware. Just some devices don’t support hubs.

The router may not have large enough power supply to connect mutiple USB devices with a hub. Low voltage can cause problems too.

Joe

Joe_S wrote:

The router may not have large enough power supply to connect mutiple USB devices with a hub. Low voltage can cause problems too.

Joe

He mentioned it was a powered USB hub so I don’t think it would be a power issue. That’s what led me more to an addressing issue.