Computer Not Reading Passport Driver

Hi there,

For the past few years I have never had an issue with my passport and I’ve been very careful in taking good care of it. Now all of a sudden as I went to plug it in, my computer said that it was installing a new device, and then it said installation failed (The first two steps ‘USB Mass Storage Device’ & ‘WD BAD PCB USB Device’ say ready to use but ‘WD Ses USB Device’ says failed.) I tried downloading and reinstalling the driver and it seemed to install correctly but when I try connecting my harddrive it still says driver needs to be installed. I have tried plugging my passport into another computer to see if it works but it does the exact same thing, so I assume it must be a problem with the drive itself. Is there any way to fix this without losing all my stuff? I have my whole life on there so I would really appreciate any help on the matter!

Thanks!

Make sure to check if the drive appears on Disk Management.

If it does, try checking the status and see if possible to assign a drive letter.

Also, try different ports on the computer and uninstall and reinstall the requested driver.

No, the drive does not appear in Disk Management.

It appears in Device Manager, but with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. When I click to update driver, it says it cannot be found.

When I try installing the driver, I get the error ‘SES Driver setup ended prematurely because of an error’ every time.

I’ve also tried every USB port on two separate computers, but I get the exact same results.

Please try contacting support for additional troubleshooting.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en