Can't Select Files to Backup to My Passport 2TB

After purchasing my new WD My Passport 2TB  External Portable Hard Drive, I installed WD SmartWare 2.0.1 to use it to backup my D drive on my laptop.

I switched the backup mode from “Category Backup” to “File Backup” in order to select my D drive to be backed up, but when I try to select the drive its checkbox is dimmed “grayed-out”.

Not only I can’t select the drive but all the folders and files under it can’t be selected also; I tried to check on the C drive and the same problem exist.

I’ve uninstalled the WD SmartWare and re-install it again, updated the firmware of My Passport and re-formatted it with the WD Quick Formatter for Windows all with no luck.

The HDD is showing in the WD SmartWare but is not showing in the Settings section!

Make sure to check all the minimum requirements for Smartware on the link bellow:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?id=wdfMyPassport&os=win

Hi John,

I’ve met all the minimum requirements for Smartware with no luck.

Smartware works fine expect for the Backup tab where I’m unable to select the files to be backed-up as I explained earlier.

Also, the HDD is not showing under the settings tab in Samrtware, only my laptop is showing!

I have same problem with smartware after last update. With each update smartware goes bad. Disappointed with updates.  Very bad for wd software developers team.

Make this better soon!!!

Thank you

boboxi

1 Like

Hi John,

Any feedback regarding this problem?

I’m having the exact same problem. I select only certain files to backup. Just upgraded to version 2.01, and now I can’t select any checkbox. Just stays gray. Is it really that hard to make this program work?

2 Likes

Hi all,

I just upgraded to Smartware 2.0.1 and I’m having exactly the same problem – can’t check the checkboxes in order to setup the backup plan.

Has this problem be resolved?

It seems that the problem was due to an incomplete upgrade from version 1.6.5 to version 2.0.1.

Why do I say that?

Because uninstalling and then reinstalling version 2.0.1 cleared up this problem.

Passing on this information in case it is of help to anyone out there …

1 Like