Can passport essential be used in ps3?

Hello,

I have a problem with my external HD passport essential…

I wanna use it to saving game data from ps3…

but it cannot do that…

My question :

is my passport essential compatible for ps3?

How can I solve that problem if my passport essential compatible for ps3?

please help me…:cry:

Hi there!!

As far as I know, the only Passport that WD supports and marks as compatible with a PS3 even on the boc is the Passport AV. The Essential has been known not to work that well on a PS3 even when formatted as FAT32 due to the firmware…

If you need it for a PS3, the if I were you I’d take it back and trade it for the AV, which is a safe bet :smiley:

so there is no solution for my problem?

and if i wanted to saving game data for ps3 i have to trade it for the av?

oh God!:cry:

Sorry, but yes… The box for the Essential says Windows and Mac, the box for the AV says Windows. Mac and PS3…

The Essential line is better used for backups due to the additional features like the encryption…

I suspect that the problem is related to SmartWare and the VCD (Virtual CD). When the drive is connected to the USB port, it first enumerates as a USB optical drive and then as a USB mass storage device. I suspect that the PS3 doesn’t know how to deal with the former.

To work around this problem, you could apply a firmware update to your Passport drive. This update disables the VCD.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyPassport_Essential