Backup behavior on multiple computers

Hello

How would the backup software behave if I connect the passport to more than one computer? Will only the first comp be backed up, will it treat it as if it’s the same computer (but with all files changed), or will it keep full, separate backups of both/all computers?

It should keep full separate backups of each computer.

I have had my drive for some time to back up one machine. I now need to back up 3 machines. Is this possible please and, if so, how do I go about it? When I backup, the options are to do a complete backup or an incremental one. I am worried that if I connect a different machine, it will overwrite my existing backups. The ref no. on the back of the drive is WD3200D032-000. 

I have a laptop on Windows 7 and an older desktop on Windows XP.  I installed the WD backup software that comes loaded on the Passport Essential SE hard drive on both machines and individually ran the backup.    The software creates a unique “user” name for each PC.  The files are segregated (albeit a bit hard to find, but definately segregated).  Easy for backing up multiple computers on the same hard drive.

jjeenn wrote:

I have a laptop on Windows 7 and an older desktop on Windows XP.  I installed the WD backup software that comes loaded on the Passport Essential SE hard drive on both machines and individually ran the backup.    The software creates a unique “user” name for each PC.  The files are segregated (albeit a bit hard to find, but definately segregated).  Easy for backing up multiple computers on the same hard drive.

Hello,

I have backed up 2 computers and now I would like to transfer files from backed up computer number 1 to computer number 2.

However, when I’m connected to computer number 2, I cannot find the computer number 1 files.

1.) Can you tell me how to find computer number 1 files while connected to computer number 2?

2.) Do you know if I can in fact transfer files from one computer to another with the My Passport Essentials SE?

thanks

I also have the same problem, cannot locate the backup files to load to my new PC.

Please help

Have you selected the right retrieve volume? If you did back up computer1, you will be able to select the volume(Drive) you want to retrieve.

Locate the change retrieve volume on the retireve tab. You will see a list that has the computer name and drive letter you backed up.