Automatic back-up

Hello. I have recently got a My Passport (model number: WDBKXH5000A) from my parents, and downloaded and installed it on my computer. Here are my questions (very basic ones):

• After having taken my first bac-up (which I have done), will this back-up automatically be updated every time I start my computer, so that I never have to take a new back-up manually?

• Can I somehow adjust how often it will take back-ups? I guess I should go to “Adjustments” and perhaps choose “Disc Adjustments”, but I can´t click that button on my program (the button is marked with a sligthly ligther shade of blue and doesn´t answer when I press it).

• When I try to open the documents on my My Passport, not all of them are possible to read. Can someone explain why?

Hello,

- After having taken my first bac-up (which I have done), will this back-up automatically be updated every time I start my computer, so that I never have to take a new back-up manually?

Basically, it will do the backup automatically once you are away from the computer to avoid using the computer resources while you are using it.

- Can I somehow adjust how often it will take back-ups? I guess I should go to “Adjustments” and perhaps choose “Disc Adjustments”, but I can´t click that button on my program (the button is marked with a sligthly ligther shade of blue and doesn´t answer when I press it).

Currently, the WD Smartware does not have an option that allows you to set a schedule backup.

- When I try to open the documents on my My Passport, not all of them are possible to read. Can someone explain why?

What’s the file format of those files?

Make sure that the backup is fully completed and then try to open some of those files. 

For more information about the drive and the backup software, please see the following links. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705063.pdf

If you are using Smartware Pro for the back-up, you can set a schedule. Once you have your back-up target set, go into the backup tab and at the bottom (you may need to scroll depending on your screen-size/resolution) you should see a button labelled “Set Backup Frequency”.

Press that and you can set it to either continuous backup or a scheduled backup. If you select scheduled then there are options for hourly, daily or monthly with sub-options for day/date and time depending on what you select.

By default it is set to continuously back-up, but you can change it to the scheduled one if that’s more convenient or more what you want (and that will also be less processor-intensive except when it’s actually doing a backup).

Not sure if the button is available in the regular Smartware version or not, but may be worth a look anyway.