Another dead WD drive

My Passport drive was working fine until yesterday. Suddenly it is not recognized by my system.

This is my backup drive. 

I did not unplug it without properly ejecting it. I did not beat on it or otherwise abuse it. My computer is power through a UPS AND a surge protector. 

I have switched out the USB3-2 cords. Have tried every USB port on my laptop computer (my main computer) as well as all the USB ports on my desktop. Still nothing.

None of the WD software recognizes the drive as having any data in it.

This is the 3rd WD drive that has just died on me for no apparent reason. 

Any tips on how to save my data – which was religiously backed up and now seems lost to me?

Well your hard drive might have got corrupted… So if you have data backed up on it then do not try to format it or copy anything on it… Just use a data recovery software to recover your data and once it is recovered then you can format it and strt using it again!!! Hope at helps!!!

Moreover its the third hard drive that has died and you are still not careful with your drives… You should always safely remove your harddrives and treat them with care as it contains your valuable data… Then i’m sure you wont have any problem.

The problem is I CANNOT get access to the data to save it elsewhere. And I am very careful about disconnecting my drive.

What OS are you using? Does the drive show in Disk Management?

Joe

I am using Windows 7.

When I ran the WD recovery program it saw the disk but said it had zero GB. In Windows Explorer, the disk is recognized as a CD drive. In WD management it does not get recognized.

Well if isnt shown in disk management as well then your partition is corrupt. So just install any data recovery software like iCare data recovery and run a scan on your hard drive and it will surely show you your files after the scan completes. And then you can recover them.

No worries.

Since this is a backup disk you can just throw it away and buy a new one or RMA it for a refurb unit. When you get the new-replacement-refurb disk just repopulate it.