'Access is Denied' message for my new WD Passport 1TB Hard Drive (plz read full msg)

‘Access is Denied’ message while trying to access my new WD Passport 1TB Hard Drive.

I know that there are some steps to take ownership of the drive by going into Properties → Security → Advanced → Owner, lot of sites give this answer… but here lies my problem…

I am  not able to even change the owner ship. I tried to do this with my username that is part of the Administrators Group.

I logged in as Administrator and tried to do the same but still not able to do it.

Whenever i click on ok after selecting the new user it again gives me an error saying that Access is Denied. 

Not that the Current Owner field shows “Unable to display current owner.” 

Please help me…

Hello,

Take a look at this link. Hope it helps

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c1942f9a-18b2-487f-bae7-5f9ac11cbfea/access-denied-even-though-i-am-an-administrator?forum=w7itprosecurity

Hi HDKnows,

You see these steps in the link:

You may take the ownership of the folder and then use the steps to grant permission to everyone–

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer
  2. Right click on file or folder and select  “Properties”  from Context Menu
  3. Click on  Security tab
  4. Click on  “Advance”
  5. Now click on  Owner tab in Advance Security Settings  for User windows
  6. Click on  Edit Button and select user  from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list then click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.
  7. Now select User/group and click apply and ok. (Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder)
  8. Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed
  9. Now Owner name must have changed.
  10. Now click  Ok to exist from Properties  windows
  11. Once you have  taken the ownership of file or folder

Like I said before… I already tried this. I am not able to perform these steps. On step # 7 in the above list i get an error that ‘Access is Denied’ even if I use Administrator user. The screenshot I gave aboe in my post is at step # 7 of the above list.