1tb my passport essential SE, very slow write speed, normal read speed

Hi

I recently purchased a 1Tb My passport Essential SE USB 3.0 hard drive.

When transfering files to and from the drive I get the following speeds (acording to teracopy  http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php )

read: between 40 to 70 MB/s 

write: between 4 to 5 MB/s !!

I have tested the hard drive on another computer with the same results, connected the drive directly to the usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports on my computers with the same results (except slower reading when connected to the usb 2.0 port)

I own other external hard drives, a 500gb samsung 2.5’’ drive and a 2Tb western digital usb elements drive. both average a 20 to 30 MB/s write speed according to teracopy

I’m using teracopy to measure the read speed because windows explorer stalls when copying files and doesn’t show an accurate write or read speed.

I don’t know if this can be a ‘power starvation’ issue, so I asked for a ‘Y’ cable on the support page, I couldn’t find a usb 3.0 Y cable here in Chile. The cable should arrive in 2 weeks.

Do you think it can be a cable/power issue, or should I return the drive?

1 Like

Hello,

Test the drive with the Y cable, otherwise return the drive.

What is a Y cable ? 

He’s referring to a power booster cable.  They’re available on the WDStore, in Accessories. 

I have the same external drive (My Passport SE 1TB USB 3.0) and I am facing the same problem! I purchased in US during business trip.

How can I return the drive?

Thanks.

Same problem, but it has only now developed, problem is I have 100GB of photos/videos to get off it.

Not impressed!

Dear WD

My PC is so slow when I am trying to use WD.

The charactistic af my pc is:

2.109 MHZ

1.00 GB RAM

Windows XP service pack 3

Frirmware 1.016

Version af WD 1.5.0.17

S/N: [Deleted]

I am using a USB 2.

To use WD is very slow.

Even navigation between the various screens is a pain.

Does there exist a optimal set up of my PC, so i can used it together with WD.

Is there a conflict between WD and Norton antivirus ?

Regards

Klaus