Not all pix showing in WDphoto

MyBook Live; updated firmware to 02:00.35; added wd2go to iphone 4 and ipad; deleted old mionet connection in wdphoto. Problem - only small number of photo files are visible in WD photo - all are present in wd2go; cleared cache in phoen/ipad, increased cache size, reinstalled wdphoto, rebooted drive to no avail. Same limited number of photos. All photo files are in the public share and in shared photos. Some help/advice please

Since you have just upgraded to our new 2.0 system, you will need to wait for the WD Photos transcoder to go through all of the .jpg/jpeg files in Public\Shared Pictures again. Once it has finished transcoding the files they should appear in WD Photos. You should start seeing some immediately and as they are transcoded, however depending on how many files there are, it could take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks to see all of the files.

I have the same issue reported in issue number [Deleted].

WD Photos version 1.3.0 on iPad model MC980B using iPad firmware 4.3.5 (8L1) only sees two folders and 126 images out of a possible six folders and 4,325 images. The full contents of My Book Live (MBL) Shared Pictures are visible from the iPad using WD2go.

Steps to self-diagnose

1. Disabled media serving on public using MBL dashboard

2. After 5 minutes re-enabled media serving on public using MBL dashboard

3. used the MBL dashboard to rescan the media

4. Disabled WD Photo access using MBL dashboard and re-issued new code. Used new code on iPad

5. removed WD Photos from iPad, rebooted iPad, reinstalled WD Photos. Reissued another code

6. Confirmed via MBL dashboard that user name being given iPad code access has permission to access public

The MBL has recently been restored to factory settings due to a smartware backup issue. MBL firmware 02.01.06-026. Previous to the factory restore all MBL Shared pictures were visible from WD Photos on the iPad.
Prior to factory restore, contents of MBL public was copied to a Vista Ultimate computer. After the restore the contents were copied back.

I am aware of the time needed to rescan but it has been over 12 hours now and the same 126 photos are shown on the iPad as they were when first enabled after factory restore.

UPDATE: Since first posting, the iPad has ‘found’ three additional images, which is approximately 8 minutes per image. On that basis, it looks like it might take around 23 days to fully see all the images. Shared Pictures contains 4,325 images in 11.2 GB of space.  Twenty three days still seems excessive to me. 

No, we’re not expecting transcoding time to be this slow. If possible, I’d like for you to give customer support a call. A couple of things that engineering would like to see would be a ‘top’ of all the processes running. You’ll have to enable ssh for this which customer support can help you with in case you haven’t done this before. Also, we’d like to see the database with the photos to see if there’s a problem with writing to it. Again customer support can step you through the process of getting the db.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

nothing new has occured - same limited number of photos visible on iphone and ipad. All photos are visible on wd2go. I need help here. As of now the wd live drive is useless without the wd photos working corrwectlt. Had no problem with mionet

Update: On 9 August 2011 I reported that of the 4,325 images in shared pictures, 129 had been ‘transcoded’. Looking at WD Photos on the iPad today, I see it has ‘transcoded’ another 249. I raised this issue with support on 9 August 2011 already. In that issue, I included a System Report. Such a report should contain all the information support need . Support responded as follows:

Response Via Email (xxxxxxx) 08/11/2011 02:42 PM

Dear Grytr,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is xxxxxxx. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused: with that amount of content it is going to take several days to a week to build that database of all those files. It’s recommended to break those down into smaller amounts.

Below is a link to contact our support team for further assistance. …

Can I assume that the System Report already submitted is not sufficient for support to diagnose and resolve this issue? Whilst I am always keen to help, I have spent enough time on this MBL device already. The device has a clear problem serving WD Photos efficiently. It will get resolved in due course - hopefully without any of us being advised to restore our devices to full factory settings! In my case, I do not wish to spend any more time on this issue. I certainly do not want to do a full factory restore again.

Yes, something is odd.

We did some tests today in converting some 5 - 6 MB photos (resolution was 4000x3000) and it took anywhere from 8 to 14 seconds to convert a photo.

Can you guys tell me what size photos you have? Also what camera make/model camera - I’d like to run a similar experiment here. Of course knowing if your box has some other process taking up CPU would be helpful - but let’s start with this.

Shared Pictures contains 4,325 images in 11.2 GB of space which implies 2.5 MB per photo taken with different cameras, as some of the images are historical. All cameras are Olympus. Exact details can be found reading the exif data on any of the images in my flickr account; e.g.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/grytr/327281686/meta/in/photostream although be aware that all my Flickr images have been downsized before uploading to Flickr.

It is true that when I first posted on this issue, the MBL may have been busy handling copies and backups (Smartware and Timemachine). The MBL is surely not busy now though. Incidentally, I upgraded Smartware firmware to 1.5.1.6 today.

RESOLVED: Just checked WD Photos (v 1.3.0) on the iPad. It is showing 4,324 photos. Perhaps the update to Smartware, which I did about an hour ago, has flushed something? In addition, WD Photo folders, which have not been visited previously and thus show icons instead of thumbnails, update to thumbnails VERY rapdily on opening the folder. This is as it should be. The app now works as desired. The issue is resolved as far as I am concerned. Thank you.