Micro sd card problem

has anyone run into problems with mounting their sd card to their my cloud via its 3.0 usb port, like the one i am having, where the reader shows up in the dashboard and the smartware folder, but the card itself, and the files on it, arent found?

Hello,

The WD My Cloud device supports the following formats:

 FAT32
 NTFS (read and write capability)
 HFS+J
 Linux Ext2, Ext3/Ext4
 XFS

Check page #116 of the WD My Cloud User’s manual for more information.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Yes, I have had the same problem. And while the Mod’s answer does well to detail the formats that are supported it does nothing to address the fact that even with cards formatted correctly, the MyCloud device will still not detect certain cards and card readers.

Ive tested this out with a few different brand cards, all of the formats, and a few different card readers themselves.

Originally, I thought a low power card reader working via USB 2.0 might have been the problem. So I purchased a USB 3.0 card reader. No luck

32gb FAT32

and

16gb NTFS

Transcend RDF8K reader (USB 3.0) 

Sony USB2.0 card reader

Now, once I plug the card back into its original device (camera), and then plug that into the MyCloud, it appears in both the Dashboard as well as the MyCloud file manager/app. Files can be transfered.

Bottom line, if you did what I did, and got a new card reader jsut for the MyCloud (so you didnt have to have your desk crammed with devices) then it looks like youre going to have to scrap that idea and go back to having your desk crammed with devices. 

The entire reason for getting the MyCloud was to be able share photos remotely and while one person is out using the camera and filling up SD cards, Im supposed to be back here clearing them out, uploading them to MyCloud. But I have to actually have the camera here to upload the photos. Defeats the whole purpose of me buying the unit.

Im hoping they can fix this via a firmware update but I dont know if its physically possible to change the properties of the MyCloud device…or just how far firmware changes can push it towards being able to read cards via a card reader

Why not plug the card reader into any computer on your network, and transfer the files to the MyCloud? It’s likely to be quicker than using the rather poor USB connector on the MyCloud itself.

I know the USB port should work, but since you’re obviously accessing the MyCloud via a browser on a computer of some sort, be pragmatic and use the other resources you have that do work…

dmstewart wrote:

Yes, I have had the same problem. And while the Mod’s answer does well to detail the formats that are supported it does nothing to address the fact that even with cards formatted correctly, the MyCloud device will still not detect certain cards and card readers.

Ive tested this out with a few different brand cards, all of the formats, and a few different card readers themselves.

Originally, I thought a low power card reader working via USB 2.0 might have been the problem. So I purchased a USB 3.0 card reader. No luck

32gb FAT32

and

16gb NTFS

Transcend RDF8K reader (USB 3.0) 

Sony USB2.0 card reader

Now, once I plug the card back into its original device (camera), and then plug that into the MyCloud, it appears in both the Dashboard as well as the MyCloud file manager/app. Files can be transfered.

Bottom line, if you did what I did, and got a new card reader jsut for the MyCloud (so you didnt have to have your desk crammed with devices) then it looks like youre going to have to scrap that idea and go back to having your desk crammed with devices. 

The entire reason for getting the MyCloud was to be able share photos remotely and while one person is out using the camera and filling up SD cards, Im supposed to be back here clearing them out, uploading them to MyCloud. But I have to actually have the camera here to upload the photos. Defeats the whole purpose of me buying the unit.

Im hoping they can fix this via a firmware update but I dont know if its physically possible to change the properties of the MyCloud device…or just how far firmware changes can push it towards being able to read cards via a card reader

It has to be a USB 3.0 to work on the MC’s port.  I had tried an PNY USB 3.0 128GB on that port but it was slow.  Like suggested above, use a port on your PC as it will be much faster.

I also have a Transcend RDF8 but never tried it on the MC port.