WD MyCloud makes noise multiple times every day

I purchased two WD MyCloud, 4 TB and 3 TB, respectively in December 2013.  So far I am happy with them after a number of firmware updates in early this year.  However, since three weeks ago, my 4 TB MyCloud box started making sharp noise for a couple of minutes multiple times every day.  Is this a prewarning of disk crash?  What should I do?  

Try running a system diagnostics test. Click on the link below for the steps. 

How to run a System Diagnostics test on a WD My Cloud, Mirror, EX2, or EX4 Personal Cloud drive 

1 Like

Sounds like your drives’ bearings could be on they out. Backup your data and hope for the best it does not get worse…

Hi, Jubei!  Thank you so much for your response.  This is a good indication showing WD cares about customers.  

Following your suggestion, I ran system tests yesterday.  The quick test took less than a minute.  The full test ran overnight but less than five hours.  Both came with a passing grade.  No noise was heard during quick test and the early part of the full test.  However, the noise came up for 30 seconds late morning today again.  I recorded the sound.  Can I email you the recording for an expert’s assessment?