WD My Cloud - Slow transfer speed

Hello,

I am aware, that there are many topics about this issue and I read them all. However I did not find a solution for me.

I bought WD My Cloud 4TB and I got only 11MB/s transfer speed. This is my setup and flow:

1. Modem → Router (WD My net n900) via Ethernet cable

2. WD My Cloud  → Router via Ethernet cable

3. Desktop PC  → Router via Ethernet cable

4. 1TB WD My Book external HDD  → Desktop PC via USB 3.0 cable

I should add, that I have a 1gigabit network card on my desktop, My net n900 is 1gigabit too and everything is wired. I am not using Wi-Fi for transfer.

I have to backup 1TB of data from that 1TB WD My book to my new My Cloud and transfer speed is stable but painfully slow - 11MB/s.

What I tried:

1. Transfer 1GB+ single file from My book external HDD (connected to desktop) to MyCloud = 11MB/s transfer speed

2. Transfer 1GB+ single file from Desktop to My Cloud = 11MB/s transfer speed

3. Connect My Book external HDD to My Cloud via USB 3.0 = ~8MB/s transfer speed

4. Connect My Cloud directly via Ethernet cable to desktop = don’t remember, but it wasn’t higher than 11MB/s

In addition, I tried drag and drop method via Windows explorer, installed my cloud app for desktop and even used teracopy. But transfer speed was same.

It have to be a problem in my network, because I can’t go further than 11MB/s (in one point I had 14MB/s, but only for few secs), but I just can’t figure out why :frowning:

So, transferring 1TB data with 11MB/s is nightmare. If you guys got any tips, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much

Have a great day,

Chaozzak

PS: When I plug 1TB My book external HDD to Router via USB and tried to copy a large file from desktop, I have around 20-40 MB/s. But that 20MB/s is stable.

1 Like

Are you connected to the router via wifi as well as Ethernet?

Have you tried different Ethernet cables?

Are you sure you are connected at the top speed on your desktop?

Is there anything else connected on your router / PC card?

Hi richUK,

1. My Cloud and my desktop are connected only via Ethernet cable to my router. However my other devices as Tablet/phone are connected wirelessly, but that’s not the case here I think.

2. My cloud and Desktop are connected to the router via Cat6 cable. I tried different cables but no luck

3. I am not sure, because I really don’t know how to test it :slight_smile: I got 80Mbit/s internet and my download is around 10-12MB/s, so that’s accurate I think.

4. Normally yes. There is one more Ethernet cable going to slow 10/100 switch but I disconnected this cable to test the transfer speed. So right now, on router are only My cloud, Desktop and Ethernet cable going to modem

Thanks

Is there an network icon in the system tray on your desktop?

If you hover over it does it show you the connection speed.

It may be that you are connected at 100 instead of 1000.

Local_Network.jpg

My OS is in Czech. But “Rychlost” means Speed and I got there 1,0 Gb/s. That should be ok, right?

And in the upper part connection (Připojení) says:

Connection via IPv4 - Internet

Connection via IPv6 - Connection to the internet is not available. (dunno if that matters, sorry :-))

What color are the LEDs on the network connector of the My Cloud?

1 Like

My Cloud got non-blinking blue led on. Even if there is a transfer to My cloud, the led is not blinking - it just lights blue.

Chaozzak wrote:

My Cloud got non-blinking blue led on. 

I’m asking about the REAR port (the port where the network cable is connected.)   What color are those LEDs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’m asking about the REAR port (the port where the network cable is connected.)   What color are those LEDs.

Network cable in MyCloud got blinking green and stable yellow one.

The opposite side of this network cable in router got blinking yellow and stable green.

Chaozzak wrote:

Blinking green and stable yellow one.

That means your Cloud is only connected at 100 meg, not gig.   The light should be green.

2 Likes

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Chaozzak wrote:

Blinking green and stable yellow one.

That means your Cloud is only connected at 100 meg, not gig.   The light should be green.

Alright, but I really have no idea where the problem is. Is it some settings in router? or Cloud itself? Because both are capable of 1Gb/s, even my desktop.

Thank you for your help.

Try using different ports on the router, and try new cables. If that still doesn’t correct it, I don’t know what to suggest. Neither the cloud nor the router have settings for that.

2 Likes

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Try using different ports on the router, and try new cables. If that still doesn’t correct it, I don’t know what to suggest. Neither the cloud nor the router have settings for that.

Ok, I will give it a try. Thanks you for advices.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Unthinkable just happened. I tried 3 new cables for Cloud (Cloud → Router) and now its working. Transferring data from Desktop to Cloud is about 50-60 MB/s and transferring from external HDD (connected via USB 3.0 to desktop) is proximately 30mb/s.

Its really weird that from 3 different cables, 2 were “defective”.

Thanks man for you help.

2 Likes

Hello, sorry for my english.

Can I ask you, what type of cable you finally used?? What is the manufacturer of the cable (brand)?

I bought the cables from the Datacom, type CAT6 and this cable is not good.

Thank you…

Just use any available cables you have laying around (ones that comes with routers, switches, etc).  Most usually comes with cat5e which is gigabit enabled.