Unable to get login on cloud for new user

I think I discovered something by accident.  I created a new account using an alternate email address.  I received the email invitation, I clicked the link, entered the email/password I had set up.  I get the email/password invalid error.  I click the “forgot password” and have the reset email sent.  I click the reset link in the email, I’m taken to a screen where I can enter a new password.  I try passwords and get cryptic error messages about the format.  Nowhere does it say when you create the user what the format of the password must be!!!  It MUST be at least one capital letter and at least ONE number or other character.  I create a password that meets that qualification and suddenly I’m allowed access on the website.  But then I have to enter another password, which is the one I originally created for the user. 

So confusing, requiring lots of experimentation and frustration.  Is this by design?  I still don’t understand the need for entering the password twice when using the web login, either.  And now I know it can actually be two different passwords.  Such a confusing mess.