Twonky Server database issues & fix

[edit] 2015/02/24: I think I’ve finally figured out how to get Twonky working in a stable fashion, so I’ve written up my findings in a

Twonky Setup & Use FAQ thread.

[/edit]

I foolishly unplugged my 4TB MyCloud last night, in order to sort out power leads etc.  [I’m of the opinion that, since mains power isn’t always guaranteed, even in first world countries, systems **_ought_** to cope with sudden loss of power, or be able to tidy up the ensuing mess automatically]

On re-booting, the NAS took a while, so I used the Dashboard to see what was going on.  It was okay, but I spotted a pending firmware upgrade, so I installed that and let it re-boot again.

Now, coincidentally to the upgrade, or the power cycle, the Twonky server started playing up, reporting an error 400162.

After trying the usual suspects of shutting Twonky down, re-building, re-scanning, re-starting, etc, to no avail, I found this suggestion:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/is-Twonky-gone-Cant-restart/td-p/154348

Si I installed PuTTY, shut down Twonky, enabled SSH access, logged in to the Linux as root, and found that there was no twonky.db as suggested.  But there was a db directory, so I moved that and db.info into a backup directory, and re-started Twonky.  It still seemed to be having trouble.

After much experimentation, I enabled loging in Twonky’s dashboard, and found that it had stopped reading the twonkyserver.ini file, reporteing an error, identical to the one found here:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=99711

[Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_multiuser_load : load user-db from twonky.users: failed

By this time, I was getting somewhat fed up with rubbish software that cannot sort itself out, so I did a trash & burn on all the obvious configuration files

[shut down media streaming in WD Dashboard]

[enable SSH]

[log in]

cd /CacheVolume/twonkymedia

rm -f -R db

rm -f db.info

rm -f twonky-locations-70.db
rm -f twonkyserver.ini

[log out]

[restart media streaming]

This has stopped the error as Twonky starts up, and it appears to be re-building the database correctly again.

Having trashed the .ini file, I obviously had to re-do all the Twonky settings.

For any WD employees monitoring these forums:

I’d suggest adding a ‘trash & burn all Twonky settings & database and re-start from fresh’ button, as neither Twonky or the WD Dashboard were able to fix this problem.  Or discuss the issue with PacketVideo Corp, and come up with a user-friendly solution.  Systems shouldn’t be corrupted by sudden loss of power, or they should recover on their own.  Users shouldn’t have to resort to root access to the server operating system, nor destroy files to fix problems.

Maybe I’ll just ditch Twonky (as it seems appallingly slow to serve media; so much so that MediaConnect on the iPad and MediaMonkey on Android both timeout, Kinsky on the PC is more patient) and go install MiniDLNA in its place:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Install-MiniDLNA-on-WD-My-Cloud-firmware-series-3/td-p/755364

1 Like

Yah sometimes it happens. I corrupted one of my MySQL db because of this.

But I think to solve this issue, you can try fix the Sqlite db first? Else just delete the *.db to start fresh.

There’s no obvious SQL database (e.g. Twonky.db). well, there was’n’t. I’ll have to go and check again.

I note that I’m running Twonky v7.2.9

I’ve just tried to access the recreated Twonky server database with MediaConnect on the iPad. All looks good, with the file structure and metadata categories all nicely populated. Great.

Until you try to actually play music. When it refuses, and simply skips through the tracks in the album one after another., not making a squeak on the audio.

Ho hum. Yet more fun & games. Why do I seem to be beset by rubbish software? Maybe I should read reviews before going out and buying a cheap NAS. Maybe time to do as others have, and rip open the WD MyCloud, pull out the disk, and use it in something more reliable. Life is too short to spend it massaging poorly designed and implemented software… I could buy a SATA to USB interface and plug it into my Technicolor 582n router, and get all the facilities offered by the WD MyCloud. Shame it doesn’t seem to support NTFS disks, which might limit the video file support (4GB FAT32 limit).

Now, where’s that MiniDLNA install guide again…?

There’s no obvious SQL database (e.g. Twonky.db). well, there was’n’t. I’ll have to go and check again.

But, fundamentally, users shouldn’t need to be mucking about with configure files, fixing SQL databases, etc. Most users don’t have a clue about such arcane matters. IT SHOULD JUST WORK. There’s a lot to be said for what the Ghost of Steve Jobs does at Apple.

Latest…

Just looked at the Twonky status page. Whereas a few moments ago, I had nearly 65000 songs and 5000 pictures (not that it would play them). It’s now showing 2 songs and no pictures. What a heap of rubbish.

Sorry; I’d intended this to be a helpful thread documenting a solution to problems others have experienced, and make it visible to Google searches for the obvious search strings. But it seems to have turned out to be yet another tale of woe and disappointment.

Can anyone suggest a reliable NAS and DLNA media server?

Blaming the nas while Twonky is the issue due to improper shutdown? :smileyvery-happy: Even enterprise grade nas needs UPS backup to prevent such failures. 

You could just re-initialize twonky by shutting down the daemon, removing all the settings and dbs, then start fresh.

Anyway if you want to test minidlna, it’s on my signature. Good luck.

Yes, I agree that Twonky is the problem, but I was in a grumpy mood last night, having spent hours on the problem to no avail.

But my point about devices coping with domestic power outages still stands; plenty of HDD devices cope perfectly well with power off, detecting the failing power and shutting down gracefully.  Nothing had been connected to the NAS for hours, and I haven’t been using Twonky due to the timeout issue.  But I have noted that the drive never goes quiet, despite having power save enabled.

This morning, Twonky has reset the share directories to default, and is reporting that it cannot find the user database.

11:38:46:947 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_multiuser_load : load user-db from twonky.users: failed
11:38:46:948 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: Error: 2 No such file or directory

I noticed this yesterday, and concluded that it was because it had changed the long user ID string in the .INI file (the one with the note saying “don’t change this string”).  All I’ve done is stop it and restart from the Dashboard; no more fiddling via SSH login…

I imagined that stopping Twonky from the Dashboard stopped the daemon, since the Twonky HTML UI vanishes.

If that’s not correct, I’d appreciate some advice on the command to stop the daemon, and which files I should be deleting (I’m not a Linux hacker/admin).

Thanks.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

But my point about devices coping with domestic power outages still stands; plenty of HDD devices cope perfectly well with power off, detecting the failing power and shutting down gracefully.  

Yes modern days HDD copes well else you’ll get a hairline scratch across the platter when the power goes off :laughing:

The problem is the HDD knows when the power gets cut off but not the OS and applications. Imagine apps such as Twonky in the midst of opening and locking a db file to write data then suddenly the power goes off. Guess what will happen to the file? This is a common situation pertaining to power failures…And the reason shutdown buttons (includes virtual ones) still exists…

#stop Twonky...
service twonky stop

#clear & backup the cache...
mv /CacheVolume/twonkymedia /CacheVolume/twonkymedia.bak

#restart Twonky...
service twonky start

Thanks for the help shutting down Twonky & restarting cleanly.  Looks simple enough, essentially making the entire directory invisible.  I’ll give that a go, since Twonky is utterly **bleep** at the moment.

Maybe I’ve spent too long designing embedded systems (the last 30 years), and may be expecting too much of software.  You’re probably arguing that Linux isn’t a real-time operating sytem, so cannot respond in time to a power-down interrupt in time to kill all processes before the power really dies.  But devices like TiVo and Humax are also based on Linux, and seem to cope with power outages without incident (a good thing too, seeing how many times the Humax froze and had to be hard re-booted until I upgraded the firmware recently…).  I see no essential difference between a NAS and an HDD recorder/player.  If Twonky cannot be shut down in a controlled manner by the OS responding to a power outage in time, then maybe it’s a poor choice for a consumer-grade NAS where unscheduled power outs are inevitable (fuses or breakers going open, local distribution failure, etc).

Which brings us back to a requirement in the design specification that the supporting software should be able to allow the non-expert user to recover the situation without resorting to mucking about with Linux.  Since the solution you’ve just suggested is very simple, it would seem to be a simple matter to make the Dashboard provide that facility…

You’re clearly a very capable Linux user (I supect the most expert user on the forum?), so these things are easy for you.  I have some experince as a Unix user, but no admin experience, and it’s not easy for me.  Imagine what it’s like for someone with no admin experience at all, who has just bought a NAS & media server on the basis of what it says on the box, only to find that it’s not the simple plug & play, 1-2-3 steps, reliable and secure experience it’s claimed to be…

BTW, I know I’m very picky; that comes of being a terrible perfectionist, but I really appreciate your assistance.

I spend quite a lot of time giving advice on forums of a completely different nature, and sometimes have to bite my tongue when I encounter people like me…  So thanks for the patience.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Thanks for the help shutting down Twonky & restarting cleanly.  Looks simple enough, essentially making the entire directory invisible.  I’ll give that a go, since Twonky is utterly **bleep** at the moment.

No problem.

Maybe I’ve too long designing embedded systems (the last 30 years), and may be expecting too much of software.  You’re probably arguing that Linux isn’t a real-time operating sytem, so cannot respond in time to a power-down interrupt in time to kill all processes before the power really dies.  But devices like TiVo and Humax are also based on Linux, and seem to cope with power outages without incident (a good thing too, seeing how many times the Humax froze and had to be hard re-booted until I upgraded the firmware recently…).  I see no essential difference between a NAS and an HDD recorder/player.

No OS even embedded ones can intercept and/or react in the event of total power lost where backup power is unavailable. Those devices you quoted doesn’t have the same role of managing large db entries with your amount of medias. But the same will happen to them, eg. while recording then it freezed or encountered power lost, the recording will be corrupted. 

Okay, tried your recommendation.

As I suspected, having shut down media streaming from the Dashboard, twonky wasn’t running, so I got:

MyCloud:/CacheVolume# service twonky stop
PID file /var/run/mediaserver.pid not found, stopping server anyway…
twonkystarter: no process found

At least I think that means twonky wasn’t running…

Directory obscured and twonky restarted from the Dashboard, and I hear the NAS beavering away in the background.

Fingers crossed it behaves from now on…  It’s looking promising.  Thanks again.

The MyCloud box looks to be a nice little Linux machine.  I can see myself playing with this rather than using Cygwin on the PC…  It has AWK installed, which is a mainstay of my my unix productivity tool hacking for all manner of design & analysis tasks…  I know it’s rather old skool, and I should probably be using Python, but I’m used to it now after 20 years…  Oh, it’s got Python, too…  Shame it doesn’t have the PostScript tools ps2pdf, etc.

In cygwin use gawk:

C:\Users\Nazar>echo "a b c" | gawk '{print $2}'
b

ps2pdf is not available but you still can install via ghostscript though you’ll need to compile them with 64k page size memory patch for wdmycloud firmware v4 onwards. See my signature for how-to details if you’re interested…

Point taken on the large databases.  All the more reason for a ‘kill everything and start again’ button; ‘Rebuild’ didn’t seem to do that.

Anyway, back to the clean restart…

Everything was going smoothly.  Then I started to change the various parameters back to what I wanted: sharing directories, rescan interval, and, finally, the compilation directory names.  The latter required a server restart.  The log file is now showing the

02:14:08:827 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_multiuser_load : load user-db from twonky.users: failed
02:14:08:828 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: Error: 2 No such file or directory

error again.  It looks like the user ID string is being changed for some reason (it’s not me doing it):

UserID Please Do NOT change it manually

userid=[deleted]

Comparing two .ini files, the first 16 characters of this userid change.  The last 16 characters are the same.  So, for all our discussion of reslience ot power outages, it’s looking like that isn’t the problem after all…  So, if the user-db is based on this name, it won’t be able to find it when the server restarts, since the name has changed.

Should I be able to change the parameters whilst the scan is in progress? I can see no way of stopping the scan and leaving the Twonky UI up and running.

I’ll clean up again and try the various settings changes a bit more systematically, and I’ll force a server restart at each change, and check the logfile.  But not tonight; it’s way past my bedtime…

You need to restart for changes in the conf to take effect. At anytime during the scan you can stop them by any means, eg. sigterm or better service twonky stop.

Don’t worry, I’ve been using AWK under cygwin for years.  Can’t remember whether it’s mapped to nawk or gawk…

Anyway, getting back to the misbehaving Twonky server.

I don’t want to use Linux admin commands if I can help it (other than wiping the service clean), as I’d like to see what the problem is with the consumer user interface that seems to be causing the problem.

So I’ve spent the last hour or so repeatedly killing, cleaning & restarting the Twonky server, whilst changing one option at a time, saving the changes, and restarting the server each time.

Sadly, I don’t seem to have come to any useful conclusion.  I’m beginning to suspect that Twonky throws a fit at some random point, entirely independent of my changes.  It got to the point where all I did was enable logging, leave it for a while, then restart, to find it immediately gave a number of errors.

00:05:03:714 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : ***Starting TwonkyServer (Product Name:Twonky, Version:7.2.9, Build-date:Sep 15 2014)***
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : using logfile /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : Executable file: /usr/local/twonkymedia-7/twonkyserver
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : Command Line Parameters: 9
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 1:-D
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 2:-ip
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 3:192.168.1.69
00:05:03:715 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 4:-httpport
00:05:03:716 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 5:9000
00:05:03:716 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 6:-appdata
00:05:03:716 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 7:/CacheVolume/twonkymedia
00:05:03:716 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 8:-logfile
00:05:03:716 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 9:/CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt
00:05:03:767 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_check_for_old_inis : exisiting ini file /usr/local/twonkymedia-7/twonkyserver-default.ini copied to /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini
00:05:03:767 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : reading ini settings from /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini
00:05:03:767 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : contentbase = /shares
00:05:03:767 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : contentdir = +A|/Public
00:05:03:767 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : followlinks = 0
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : scantime = -1
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : friendlyname = %HOSTNAME%
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : ignoredir = AppleDouble,AppleDB,AppleDesktop,TemporaryItems,.fseventsd,.Spotlight-V100,.Trashes,.Trash,RECYCLED,RECYCLER,RECYCLE.BIN,Software,_WDPROT,.wdmc,.wdphotos
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : mediafusionserverurl =  
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : profileserviceurl =  
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : autoupdateurl =  
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : disablelocalssdp = 1
00:05:03:768 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : streambuffer = 131072
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : nicrestart = 1
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : uploadenabled = 1
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : servermanagedmusicdir = /shares/Public/Shared Music
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : servermanagedpicturedir = /shares/Public/Shared Pictures
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : servermanagedvideodir = /shares/Public/Shared Videos
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : disableduplicateremoval = 1
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : disablemytwonky = 1
00:05:03:769 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : enablereporting = 0
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : includefolder = 1
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : disabletimeseek = 1
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : uploadmusicdir = /shares/Public/Shared Music
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : uploadpicturedir = /shares/Public/Shared Pictures
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : uploadvideodir = /shares/Public/Shared Videos
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : autoshare_upload_dirs = 0
00:05:03:770 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : scannerioprio = idle:low
00:13:36:079 [Error] - LOG_EVENTING: handleConnections : Received error in unsubscribe (3) response 404 from http://127.0.0.1:9000
00:13:36:130 [Error] - LOG_EVENTING: Error: 115 Operation now in progress

00:13:36:624 [Error] - LOG_DB: filedb_item_add : called without upnp_dbx_init
00:13:36:624 [Error] - LOG_DB: Error: 2 No such file or directory

00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : ***Starting TwonkyServer (Product Name:Twonky, Version:7.2.9, Build-date:Sep 15 2014)***
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : using logfile /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : Executable file: /usr/local/twonkymedia-7/twonkyserver
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : Command Line Parameters: 9
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 1:-D
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 2:-ip
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 3:192.168.1.69
00:13:41:837 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 4:-httpport
00:13:41:838 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 5:9000
00:13:41:838 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 6:-appdata
00:13:41:838 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 7:/CacheVolume/twonkymedia
00:13:41:838 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 8:-logfile
00:13:41:838 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: server_main_impl : cmdline 9:/CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt
00:13:41:928 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : reading ini settings from /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini
00:13:41:940 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : friendlyname = %HOSTNAME%
00:13:41:940 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : ip = 192.168.1.69
00:13:41:940 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : nicrestart = 1
00:13:42:971 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_multiuser_load : load user-db from twonky.users: failed
00:13:42:971 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: Error: 2 No such file or directory

I note in particular the errors as soon as it stops before re-starting (I think):

00:13:36:079 [Error] - LOG_EVENTING: handleConnections : Received error in unsubscribe (3) response 404 from http://127.0.0.1:9000
00:13:36:130 [Error] - LOG_EVENTING: Error: 115 Operation now in progress

00:13:36:624 [Error] - LOG_DB: filedb_item_add : called without upnp_dbx_init
00:13:36:624 [Error] - LOG_DB: Error: 2 No such file or directory

and then the error after it starts up again:

00:13:41:940 [Startup] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_ini_file_read_properties_impl : nicrestart = 1
00:13:42:971 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: upnp_multiuser_load : load user-db from twonky.users: failed
00:13:42:971 [Error] - LOG_SYSTEM: Error: 2 No such file or directory

It looks like it’s having a problem with the database (in that is simply isn’t building one, which is why I can’t see it…)  Where is the database usually stored?

If I look in the /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/db directory, all I see are .wpl files; there’s no .db file.

The only .db file found on twonkymedia is the twonky-locations-70.db file.

There IS a large 1.tms.dat file in twonkymedia/db  I guess that’s the database, then…  It’s 12M and growing…

I confess I’m getting tempted to work up to a full factory restore and restore all the data from my backup disks, and take the hit on the restore time and minor loss of data since the last backup.

I note that the Dashboard/Utilities isn’t offering to run either set of diagnostics; they’re both greyed out, and re-booting didn’t change this.  This doesn’t sound right…

if you do a restore I would start with a system only restore, no data/share lose, evrything else reset

if you want a factory restore to the quick instead of full. Same thing except the full write multiple patterns everywhare on the disk to prevent recovery, good if you sell a drive, externly slow to complete

if you do a restore I would start with a system only restore, no data/share lose, evrything else reset

I started with a Reboot.  No improvement.  As the MyCloud came back up, and loaded the saved configuration file, it started spitting out a vast swathe of red errors (so many I couldn’t be bothered to note all the details, but essentially whinging about not finding some [unspecified] ‘connection’).  Closing and re-starting the UI seemed to shut them up, and eventually it came back up looking fairly sane.

I ran the Quick Diagnostics, and that reported no problem.

I escalated to System Only Restore.  Doesn’t look like there’s any improvement, but I’ll try a Twonky shutdown/clean/restart cycle.  I’m not holding out much hope.  It does a scan, finds lots of media, but none of it can be played, but then forgets it all and reports it can only see two songs and a few pictures.  Re-starting gives errors, but reports it is finding media.

Reading around the forum, I get the impression that it’s pointless asking questions of WD: they don’t seem to do customer support.  Is that a fair assessment?

Okay, I’ve clean-started Twonky.  And this time, I’m actually able to play MP3 files.  I’ll see how long that lasts…

set parameters

Setup/Servername = ParanoiaTwonky
     Sharing/Shared Folders (browse to selection)
         /Public/Shared Music        All
         /Public/Shared Pictures    Photos
         /Public/Shared Videos      Videos
     Advanced
         Compilation Folders        Various Artists
         Rescan Interval                 1440 minutes
         Ignore Directories             add:
             MediaMonkey,OtherMusic,FailedRip,metadata,scripts,artwork,Playlists,old_processing,
     [auto-restart due to changes]

[edit] 2015/02/24: I shouldn’t have put my media in the ‘Shared Media’ folders; these appear to be intended for Twonky to store media it copies from other libraries when working on ‘AutoCopy Aggregation’ mode.  The trouble is that these appear the first time the MyCloud is turned on, so it looks like that’s where your supposed to put your media: you’re not…

Using the following folders to store my media seems to make it work properly:

/Public/Music        All
         /Public/Pictures    Photos
         /Public/Videos      Videos

[/edit]

Ah well, that was a brief working interlude…  The tracks that I was able to play before the auto-restart are no longer playable; it either crashes MediaMonkeyAndroid, or else the poor thing just skips through the tracks as unavailable.

If there’s anything obviously troublesome in the settings I’ve used, please shout.  All were accepted without comment.

I was discussing animal conditioning with a colleague at lunctime, and I realised I am being conditioned to continue struggling with this thing; every now and then, it throws me a bone, briefly, and then snatches it away from me.  The rational thing would probably be to write it off as a heap of junk, and move on.  But I’m stubborn, and don’t like being beaten by technology.

Having reviewed my ‘computer stuff logfile’, I note that I’ve never successfully played music from Twonky (so today’s brief window was a first, and the problems are probably nothing to do with the unscheduled power cycle).  I’ve been trying to get MediaMonkey’s DLNA server running wwithout the MM UI client, but without any luck.  So I thought I’d try Twonky…  I’m sensing a pattern here.

Still no error in the logfile, though, so maybe I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it sorts itself out when it’s finished scanning.