Suggestions on Speeding Up Initial Backup?

I’m using a wireless connection and upload speeds when moving a few GB of video on to My Cloud seems to finish within a few minutes, which is great.  What I’m having trouble with now is getting my 500GB initial Time Machine Backup finished.

I understand that 500GB is going to take some time but over 1 night it only did 25GB.  I changed my settings this morning and disabled any ‘sleep’ options.  I also tried stopping the backup and starting it again with a hard wire ethernet from my Macbook Pro to my wireless router (same one My Cloud is in).  When I retried from the hard wire setup Time Machine got stuck on ‘Preparing Backup’ for 45 minutes.

I unplugged the ethernet hard wire setup and returned to the previous wireless approach which is working fine now but still as slow as yesterday.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how I can speed this initial backup up?  I know future ones wont take this long.  Is there any way initially backup on My Passport and move that to My Cloud to get past this long process?

Hello,

For a initial backup is always recommended to run a wired backup insted of a wireless one. Also make sure that you are running a Gigabit network as this will increase the transfer speed on whitin your devices.

Please see the link below for more information about the transfer speed.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5736/session/L2F2LzIvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzg5MjE2NTY4L3NpZC9DRTVmNFVKbA%3D%3D