Still Happy after 6 months with firmware v03.04.01-219

Both. I disabled all jobs on the NAS and I stayed with firmware v03.04.01 despite WD asking me to update indicating that it fixes the booting with attached USB problem (which it probably doesn’t indicated by the fact that many users are still having that problem).

I have created scripts that deactivates all the jobs and for a little while back a couple of months ago, I would turn on a couple of jobs and let it run for a whole day; but then I figure there is really nothing in the jobs that is really needed to run. 

Right now the device is stable. I had spent a good 6 months reading through all the WD Live and WD Cloud threads and disseminating what the programs do and I prefer WD over all the other NAS devices for the reason that it is simpler.

Although the other NAS like QNAP offers a plethora of features, you have to remember that the CPU probably has less power then your smartphone :stuck_out_tongue: If you want a powerhouse NAS, then buy one of those hockey puck PC’s that allows you to attach several USB 3 devices to it, then either install linux, or even run windows as a server.  It would be cheaper then a QNAP device.

For simplicity, I love the fact that WD Cloud sits on my bookshelf with no fans and I wrap a book cover around it to disguise the fact that I have a NAS device on my shelf. The only job that it needs to do is turn on when I need to store or retrieve data and sleep for the rest of the time. Torrents are always performed on my PC or Mac as well as any other PC related jobs.

It is simple and cheap. my 4TB cloud costed only $200 the same price as a bare bone WD Red 4tb drive. In comparison, a QNAP dual bay will run at least $300 without drives. Been there, done that.

If you can learn the quirks and quacks of a device and work around it, then it is a keeper; if not, get something that you can understand :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes