Smartware does not see MyCLoud

Win7 home premium.

I found a .NET reference in Programs & Features:  .NET Framwwork  3.5.1, and apparently not all of it is running, according to the blue box under which two unchecked items appear (1) Windows Communcation Foundation HTTP Activation and (2)  Windows Communcation Foundation non-HTTP Activation.

I am unsure about whether I can, should, or how to update this to the reocmmended 4.0 from the WD support msg.

Yes, you can install .Net 4, it can run along with Net 3.5.1.

From Microsoft .Net site:

The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.

Here’s the confusion, the download button provides three options so how do I know what to download to install?

1. NDP40-KB2600211-x86-IA64.exe
  2. NDP40-KB2600211-x86.exe
  3. NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe

My system is 64-bit OS

NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe

No luck. Installed .NET 4.xx, removed Smartware. Rebooted. Installed Smartware. Back to square 1.

Does you PC see the MyCloud as a “Computer” under “Network”?

MyCloud is “all over the place” and out of control. I got a level 2 WD tech to take over my computer, and he was unable to get Smartware to work. Now the PC does not “see” the MyCLoud as a Network device. My iPhone and MacBook Air, however, see MyCloud.  So, wireless works but ethernet does not, yet ethernet MUST work  because otherwise the two wireless devices would not work.  The device is not connecting through the router to the Ethernet-connected PCs. The technician is supposed to try to get back on on Tuesday. Thank you for your interest in the problem. I can try to get back into this discussio to let you know what happened.

By any chance do you have a router that has a main SSID and a guest SSID?  I notice if I am connected to the guest SSID, then MyCloud is not visible as a network drive and hence not visible in SmartWare as a backup target.  I’m assuming this is a security feature of the router on the guest SSID.

1 Like

If I could join in on this topic.

Having bought the Mycloud device I am very disapointed to find problems before I even get to use it! 

WD Smartware does not show Mycloud as an option to back -up to, only Dropbox which I dont want to use as I will have to pay to use it and thats the only justification for buying Mycloud.

I have tried all the fixes I can find on the community website including using WD Discovery and Microsoft Netframework 4 as well as updating all the relevant software. The drive shows on my network and I can drag and drop files to it in the conventional way.

If I dont get it working today its being returned to Amazon to get my money back, I have already wasted some hours on this just to save a few pound expenditure.

Have emailed WD support and am awaiting reply but if there is something I have missed please tell me about it.

vikingmike wrote:

By any chance do you have a router that has a main SSID and a guest SSID?  I notice if I am connected to the guest SSID, then MyCloud is not visible as a network drive and hence not visible in SmartWare as a backup target.  I’m assuming this is a security feature of the router on the guest SSID.

That’s the whole point of guest access, they can connect to the internet but not to your network. Note also that this is a WiFi connection whereas the mycloud is Ethernet.

Wobblysailor wrote:

If I could join in on this topic.

Having bought the Mycloud device I am very disapointed to find problems before I even get to use it! 

WD Smartware does not show Mycloud as an option to back -up to, only Dropbox which I dont want to use as I will have to pay to use it and thats the only justification for buying Mycloud.

I have tried all the fixes I can find on the community website including using WD Discovery and Microsoft Netframework 4 as well as updating all the relevant software. The drive shows on my network and I can drag and drop files to it in the conventional way.

If I dont get it working today its being returned to Amazon to get my money back, I have already wasted some hours on this just to save a few pound expenditure.

Have emailed WD support and am awaiting reply but if there is something I have missed please tell me about it.

Did the mycloud install OK when you used the setup programming? Have you got quickview installed and does it see the drive?

Thanks for your help richuk.

I have had a look at system and cannot find any reference to Guest SSID furthermore as you suggest my connection to my PC is Ethernet.

The router I am using is the BTHomehub 4 which does have a wi-fi sharing feature built in for the BTopenzone but not apparently accessible by the home user.

I keep tinkering and hoping for the magical solution  :)

Forget the guest access post that was a reply to another poster. I replied to your post and asked some questions.

Sorry richuk, missed the question thinking about ssid

Yes quick view is intsalled and running so much as it will start Smartware but the other functions refered to in Smartware user manual such as Check the status of supported WD drives or Safely disconnect supported WD drives

do not appear to function.

I appreciate everyone’s input but the problem has gone away: I returned one MyCloud to the store and a replacement back to WD. A WD level 2 tech logged on to my network but was unable to make the device work. My black-belt IT friend logged on and was unable to even make my two desktop PCs see one another. So how could they see a MyCloud?  The problem probably lies somewhere in Windows and networking, because a WD Passport HDD works perfectly fine for backups on USB. So I look in the mirror and say “It’s the network, stupid.” Next time: a Mac.

I too am returning my “WD Mycloud”. a complete waste of time and money.

No support from WD, WD Smartware not robust enough to automatically set itself up without some serious trimming of settings etc.

Nice idea but not ready for the general user market

My experience with WD tech support was beyond excellent. Best support I’ve ever had from a vendor. That the device did not work is dissappointing but cannot be blamed on WD. In my case, my network just does not allow cross talk. Blaming WD would be wrong. Microsoft is the culprit and I wouild not expect any help from the devil.

Just to add to this dicussion. I bought yesterday the drive and spent around 8 hours dealing with this same problem, tried everyting and still couldn´t get it running. I called the support numbers that came in the box and got “out of service”, then email them and got a response that honestly seems like you write an email so that a machine can respond … it was just this standard response that honestly really dissapointed me.

Concluding the story… I’m returning the product because it simply doesn’t work as the nice video says it does and mainly because of the terrible support they have … I can understand a product like this might have problems relating for example to the OS, but they should have better support than just a standard response and if not then to go to the store and ask for a replacement.

Multiple windows devices on home network, including 2 work laptops that do authenticate via VPN to work domains.

Internal windows devices plus ipads no problem seeing wdmycloud

One work laptop would not see wdmycloud via WD smartware, smartware would only see dropbox.

I could see wdmycloud via quickview and wd my cloud and use UNC mapping via internal IP address.

So this is what worked for me to get wdmycloud in smartware.  Uninstalled all WD software,  added hostfile entry to host file

wdmycloud      XXX.XXX.XXX

rebooted laptop

Went to http://wd.com/setup/wdmycloud and ran setup once complete installed smartware.

wdmycloud is now found & is happily backing up. 

Perhaps I installed software in the incorect order or perhaps the host file entry fixed the issue or perhaps the magic pixie dust worked.  I have spent enough time on this and am not going to test because IT IS CURRENTLY working. 

HTH somebody.

1 Like

Read all of the above and tried the same.  Then unplugged MyCloud, plugged it back in again…  Including re-install of software.

I think Windows update screwed setup up.  Password is required to login to my router…  once that was in, It was able to Smartware was able to see MyCloud again as an available backup location. 

It’s refreshing through the previous download, but I think i’m set.

VL