Slowness moving files on MyCloud

I have approx 200 GB of backup data (backed up using Smartware onto my My Cloud) from a PC that is no longer operational.

I want to take some of this data (for example, photos) out of the Smartware backup part of the drive and put it in another Share on the MyCloud - for example, “Pictures.”  Once I have done that, I plan to delete the Smartware backup.

The problem is that this  “move”  operation takes a long time, which is disappointing.  Cut and paste is also slow, which I would not have expected.  It moves at around 15 MB/sec max, which seems to suggest the transfer is happening over the network, but because I am moving from one place on the drive to another place on the same drive I would have expected this to be quick.  

What am I missing here?  Thx

It IS happening over the network.  I was initially confused about this as well. 

Files go out of the MyCloud, to the network, to the machine making the request, back through the network, and ultimately to the share on the MyCloud.  So wherever your bottleneck is, that’s your max speed.

Right now, until someone (WD?  Are you listening?) writes an application to do this via SSH without making people use command lines, this is what you get.

1 Like

if you use the android (and I assume IOS) app it will beform the operation directly on the mycloud. otherwise it goes over the network.

The also have a desktop application that I have never looked at but may do the transfer within the mycloud.

if you us your computers OS to do the transfer it is always over the network

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying it is happening over the network.  Larry I have tried using the My Cloud desktop application- it is much faster- so I think it is happening within the drive.

However, this still has its limitations:

• No folder merging (drag a folder named A into another folder with an existing folder named A, and the operation will be rejected).
  • No multi-selecting of folders/files allowed.

Not sure about the merging as I have not tried it

in the android app to select multiple press and hold the file/folder until it is highlighted, then just touch the rest 1 at a time. I don’t believe there is any select all feature

A slightly related problem;

I have a 2TB Mybook, which was at 96% full. I bought a 2TB Mycloud to sit alongside it, and began to move some files from the Mybook to the new drive.

It’s like wading through treacle. I have two PCs and two drives hanging off a gigabit switch, so everything should be moving swiftly. At the moment I’m moving 8gb of data from one to the other, and it’s giving a transfer time of ten hours. That’s hours. Not minutes.

To say it’s frustrating it a bit of an understatement…

is the Mybook USB? or NAS? if NAS is it actually connecting Gb?

what are the lights on the mycloud by the ethernet cable doing?

what types of files? approximate numbers?

what version FW?