Slow Transfer to 3TB MyCloud

Hi Everyone,

I am using a 3TB MyCloud and am only achieving transfer speeds of about 11-12MB/s from my desktop PC to the drive. My desktop is connected to the router by ethernet. The drive is working fine so I don’t think there’s a problem there - it’s just the transfer speed that’s bugging me.

I’ve set the NIC to gigabit in the network adapter properties, but when I save the settings and come out, Windows 8.1 is still reporting it’s connected at 100MB/s - I’m assuming this is causing the slow transfer. I’ve double checked and my onboard network adapter is capable of gigabit ethernet.

I’ve tried all I can think of so looking to you kind folks for advice!!!

preyalone wrote:

I’ve set the NIC to gigabit in the network adapter properties, but when I save the settings and come out, Windows 8.1 is still reporting it’s connected at 100MB/s - I’m assuming this is causing the slow transfer. I’ve double checked and my onboard network adapter is capable of gigabit ethernet. 

Sounds like your switch is 10/100 only, not Gig.

– and NEVER set the speed / duplex manually unless you can do the exact same thing on the other end of the link.

what are the LEDs by the Ethernet cable doing?

at 100Mbps Ethernet that is a very good speed

The transfer speeds you are indicating are showing that you have a 100 connect, not a 1000 connect… I suspect your router is the issue, but I have a solution for you.  Get yourself a gigabyte switch (4 or 8 port switches are pretty cheap… staples has them in stock most times).   When you want to do a file transfer with large amounts of data, plug your ethernet cable from your computer, and the ethernet cable from the MyCloud into the switch and bypass your routher altogether… you should then see speeds ranging between 80-110 MB/s … Its kind of a pain I know, but the gateway that Uverse provides me that I have to use to get their service is only a 100 connect… and if your router is from your provider, you may be in the same boat…  I only occasionaly have to update the cloud, so its not a big deal for me to move cables on occasion, and if its not a big deal to you either, you may find this a reasonable workaround… good luck…

You have the following options.

1. Replace your router with the ones gigabit capable.

2. If you need to transfer large amount of data and don’t have any spare gigabit switch, temporarily connect WDMyCloud directly to your PC using the ethernet cable. You don’t need a crossover cable as your NIC should be Auto-MDIX, better if your PC has dual NIC so the other port still connected to the router for internet. Also assign a temporary static IP to your PC’s NIC or just use Window’s Internet Connection Sharing to have the IP assigned.

Hi

1. According to my provider, the router IS gigabit capable - and I can’t replace it otherwise I’m in violation of my contract with them. 

2. I’m transferring a moderate amount of data regularly - so any solution involing swapping cables etc just isn’t gonna work for me I’m afraid. 

LarryG - are you referring to the ports on the MyCloud, desktop, or router?

preyalone wrote:

Hi

1. According to my provider, the router IS gigabit capable - and I can’t replace it otherwise I’m in violation of my contract with them. 

You mentioned earlier “Windows 8.1 is still reporting it’s connected at 100MB/s”. That’s where the problem is, between PC and Router. Try a different cable, bad cables/connector can drop the speed back to 100mbps. Check for NIC driver upgrades.

And some ISP claims they give you a gigabit capable router, yes but maybe only 1 port is gigabit, the rest are 100mbps. What’s the brand/model of your router?

And you don’t have to violate any contract with them, just get another true gigabit router to bridge with the ISP’s router or get a gigabit switch, all depends on your preferences.

the ports on the mycloud

if you get a switch there is no need to switch cables evertime. Plug the computer(s), mycloud and anything else you want into the switch and run a cable from the switch to the router.

the only time the mycloud need to be connected to the router is probably if you are troubleshooting an issue with WD as I am sure they want to eliminate any extra devices just like cable and phone companies do.

I have 2 switches connected to my router and all devices off of them

1 Like

Thanks Larry I’ll give that a go. 

I already have a gigabit switch so I’ll swap some of the cables round.

Will let you know how I get on.

larryg0 wrote:

the ports on the mycloud

if you get a switch there is no need to switch cables evertime. Plug the computer(s), mycloud and anything else you want into the switch and run a cable from the switch to the router.

the only time the mycloud need to be connected to the router is probably if you are troubleshooting an issue with WD as I am sure they want to eliminate any extra devices just like cable and phone companies do.

I have 2 switches connected to my router and all devices off of them

Yep - that did the trick.

Thanks!!!

Glad to hear you got it worked out… btw, I am aware that you don’t really need to switch cables to make it work, I was just thinking of my particular setup… Mycloud has a problem with dropping the network if it goes thru the switch then to the gateway… for mine to work properly I have to have the mycloud plugged directly into the gateway, but since my gateway is not gigabyte, I have to connect to the switch if I have large amounts of data to move… **bleep** I know, but its the best workaround I’ve found for my situation… I only mentioned it to you as an alternative if more traditional methods don’t work… I’m hoping that a future firmware update will address my issue so I won’t have to do cable switching either…

I have a macbook and am getting slow transfer speeds.  I know my pc shows me speed but the macbook does not.  Regardless, it is slow.  Can I transfer files by connecting an ethernet cord from macbook pro directly to my mycloud?

What vastly improved the performance for me was to disable the wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd srvices but this causes no remaining capacity to be shown, which is sad. WD is not releasing firmware fixes quickly enough.