Shock! Horror! Western Digital My Cloud devices use WD GREEN drives!

Title pretty much says it all.  The My Cloud single drive NAS machines don’t appear to use WD’s NAS drives (RED).  Rather, they appear to use the cheaper, less-well-suited GREEN desktop drives (see the several dissassembly videos on You Tube).  Why on earth wouldn’t WD use a NAS drive in a NAS device?

Really? Which videos? All of mine have Red drives…

Here are a couple of links from the My Cloud forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLJi66vxnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtgRBe6nBOk

If you can post links showing the red NAS drives, that might restore my faith in WD!

:dizzy_face:

EDIT:  Note, I am referring to the sealed single drive My Cloud servers, not the user replaceable multi-drive servers.

Well, the first video is a MyBook Live, and the second video is a MyBook.

Neither is a MyCloud, so not great evidence for your case…

:wink:

And they would be different?  The warranty on the single drive My Cloud is only 2 years - sounds line there’s no Red drive in there.

The WD my cloud, single drive 3TB model that i have, DOES use a RED drive. I know because i opened mine up few days ago.

I also have a mybook live. That one DOES use a greed drive.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s interesting.  I wonder why the My Cloud only has a 2 year warranty, when the drive inside it should have a 3 year warranty?  Unfortunately, unlike the EX2 dashboard, the My Cloud does not give any information about the drives contained therein.  I must confess, I find it all a little strange.

sktn77a wrote:

Thanks, that’s interesting.  I wonder why the My Cloud only has a 2 year warranty, when the drive inside it should have a 3 year warranty? 

The drive has a 3-year warranty when you buy a drive.   If the drive you buy fails, they only have to replace a drive.   If the NAS fails, they replace the whole NAS – not just a drive.

Things aren’t warranted based on what the warranties of the parts inside are – they’re warranted as a system.  Same reason the HD inside your desktop computer won’t carry the hard drive’s warranty separately – it’s only covered by the system warranty overall.  Usually only a year.

sktn77a wrote:

the My Cloud does not give any information about the drives contained therein.

Sure it does.  In the System Report in the hd_parm section (probably elsewhere, too…)

Here’s mine:

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
Serial Number: WD-WCCxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Revision: 80.00A80
Transport: Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0

WDC WD20EFRX – That’s a WD RED drive.

sktn77a wrote:

I must confess, I find it all a little strange.

Nothin’ strange about it…

Mine’ s a WDC WD40EFRX, RED as well and those are the ones suggested by WD for NAS use.

1 Like

Tonyph12345 wrote:> Sure it does.  In the System Report in the hd_parm section

Here’s mine:

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
Serial Number: WD-WCCxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Revision: 80.00A80
Transport: Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0

Hmmmm…  You sure you have a single drive My Cloud?  There is no such menus option in mine (although there is on my My Cloud ERX2).  The closest I can get to this is the My Cloud diagnostics menus, which informs me that the drive is “OK”!

sktn77a wrote:  Hmmmm…  You sure you have a single drive My Cloud?  There is no such menus option in mine 

Of course I’m sure.

I also have an EX4…

HELP → SUPPORT → “Create and Save” System Report.

Open the HDPARM section.

1 Like

I used PuTTY, SSH(turned ON in the MyCloud), enter your MyCloud’s IP, ID=root, password= welcOme and then enter “hdparm -i /dev/sda” without the quotes.  That’s a “0” in “welc0me”.

OK, thanks.  I’ll check that support option when I get back home. 

Well, I stand corrected!  Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction - my drive is a 4TB WD Red:

WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

I guess they put red drives in anything network related and green drives in anything USB storage related (My Book, etc).

Now, let’s just hope the red drive stands up to the rigors of continuous recording and over-writing from my video surveillence system NVR.

Keith