Shared/Private Folders?

Hi, I was wondering how the Shared/Private Folders worked?

There’ll be few people in my household using the My Cloud, however most, if not everyone, will want their own Private Folders.

The way I think it’d work, is that you can connect to the Drive, on Windows for example (through the ‘Network’), and you’ll see only the Shared/Public Folders when you connect to it. Only once you ‘Login’ can you see your own Private Folders, of which you’d have to manually set through the My Cloud Application UI (or something of the sort). So anyone who doesn’t have an Account (a Guest, for example) cannot see all data stored in the Drive, they’d only be able to see what’s Shared/Public. Even the ‘Admin’ (if one exists) cannot see everything unless he sets himself to have access to the Private Folders.

I just wanted to know if this is how it works? I’ve done some research on it, but I have yet to any information on this specifically. Also, are you prompted to ‘Login’ as soon as you try to access the My Cloud, or do you have to choose when to do so?

Thanks!

Shelim wrote:

Hi, I was wondering how the Shared/Private Folders worked?

There’ll be few people in my household using the My Cloud, however most, if not everyone, will want their own Private Folders.

The way I think it’d work, is that you can connect to the Drive, on Windows for example (through the ‘Network’), and you’ll see only the Shared/Public Folders when you connect to it. Only once you ‘Login’ can you see your own Private Folders, of which you’d have to manually set through the My Cloud Application UI (or something of the sort). So anyone who doesn’t have an Account (a Guest, for example) cannot see all data stored in the Drive, they’d only be able to see what’s Shared/Public. Even the ‘Admin’ (if one exists) cannot see everything unless he sets himself to have access to the Private Folders.

I just wanted to know if this is how it works? I’ve done some research on it, but I have yet to any information on this specifically. Also, are you prompted to ‘Login’ as soon as you try to access the My Cloud, or do you have to choose when to do so?

Thanks!

Yep – you’ve got it!

With all WD NASes, you’re prompted to log on to the first share you try to access (whether it’s public or not.)  Once you log in, you can only access the shares to which you’re permitted.

One exception to this is if your Windows login credentials match the NAS credentials, you won’t be prompted.  Your Windows credentials will be used.

1 Like

I believe that you are essentially correct, however the wording you used might not be exactly what you intend.

I think that the folks in your setup will be able to see the folders of others, but not view the contents and be presented with a message similar to this …

cloud_permissions.png

1 Like

PJPfeiffer wrote:

I believe that you are essentially correct, however the wording you used might not be exactly what you intend.

I think that the folks in your setup will be able to see the folders of others, but not view the contents and be presented with a message similar to this …

cloud_permissions.png

Thank you both for the very quick response! I’m glad that it is the what I thought it to be.

It’s not a problem that the parent folders are viewable but not accessable. At least that way I’d know if people actually using the NAS! :smiley:

Thanks again :slight_smile:

if your users share a PC setup a seperate PC user for each person

in addition to each user haveing a private share you can create additional shares that they can have no, read only or full access to.

DLNA media streaming does not use permissions and any media file on any share with media serving enabled is available to everyone on the LAN

1 Like

larryg0 wrote:

if your users share a PC setup a seperate PC user for each person

in addition to each user haveing a private share you can create additional shares that they can have no, read only or full access to.

DLNA media streaming does not use permissions and any media file on any share with media serving enabled is available to everyone on the LAN

Could you please elaborate on what you mean with the DLNA?

Does this mean that if I connect to the NAS through my PS3 (with Media Serving enabled), then I would be able to view Media Content on someones Private Folder? If so, will I also be able to view all Sub-Folders as well?

if media serving is enabled on the share then yes any media is playable on any DLNA player on the LAN, PS3, media player, many TVs etc

this not a WD issue, DLNA does not have security

I keep my media in movies, music, photos shares that my wife and I can update but anyone else can read or play. and the private shares don’t have media streaming enabled

1 Like

Actually, that is not quite how it will work.

Credentials are stored in an encrypted vault that can be accessed via the credential manager.

If the host-session name of the server matches a windows credentials entry, then it will silently attempt to use the cached domain\user and password to handle smb login authentication. This is generally great, unless you work with more than one user name to access that share. In which case you will want to know how to open the credential manager from the start/windows-metro command line and remove the entry for your WD NAS host name or ip-address (since it might be identified by one or more entries based on how you have previously accessed it from the desktop explorer or via a drive mapping).

No such thing. Stupid WD decided to share ALL photos from ALL folders to ALL users on Mycloud. If you backup your files, all photos will be duplicated and shared to ALL users as well. How stupid is that?