Private/Public backup and streaming

Hi, just setting up my drive and looking for a bit of help. I’ve currently got all my photos and music on my laptop and want to back them up to MyCloud. As well as backing up, I also want to access on my TV, iPad, remotely etc

Am I right in thinking that if I want to access remotely, or on my TV, iPad etc that they need to be in public folders? If I give access to someone else can they access all the files in the public folders? I just want to keep my backup of photos and music private, but still be able to sream to all my devices.

Cheers

frasefrase wrote:

Hi, just setting up my drive and looking for a bit of help. I’ve currently got all my photos and music on my laptop and want to back them up to MyCloud.

You need to make sure you know what true “backups” are.   In the vast majority of cases, if you backup a PC, the backup files are not useful to anything other than the program that made the backups.   Backed-up files are usually encapsulated in some larger type of file.

In otherwords, Backups are NOT the same things as “copies,” and as such, you won’t be able to view photos or watch videos if they are inside backup files.

frasefrase wrote:

Am I right in thinking that if I want to access remotely, or on my TV, iPad etc that they need to be in public folders?

Yes and no.   The only requirement for the use of Public folders are for the iTunes server and WD Photos app.  The iTunes server, IIRC, requires music to be in the Public/Shared Music folder.   And photos for use with the WD Photos app must be in the Public/Shared Pictures folder.

Other than that, there’s no requirements to put things in the Public share to be able to use DLNA with your TV, or the WD My Cloud app on your iPad.

I usually back up my files using Microsoft SyncToy. This just mirrors the folders I want to backup on another drive. I was going to stick doing this as I thought I could back up my files and use the same files for streaming to devices, rather than use space on the MyCloud with a back up of the files and then another copy that I use to stream.

If I was to put all my music in the public folder, can anyone access? I assume I would need to set them up as a user first, but am I correct in thinking they could access all my music?

Cheers

Yes.   If you put them in Public, than anyone with access can see (and delete or change) your files.