Pointless purchase!

My apologies for posting again.

This device does not stream MKV files outside of my home network, I don’t need a device like this to stream at home on my home network, my Mac already has the ability to do this.

What are the steps to stream mkv files to an iPhone or an iPad outside of my home network via wifi and 4g?

Thank you

1 Like

Although it may be a cloud device it is far from being complete. It is getting there slowly but it is more of a nas box then a cloud box.

Take the wd cloud back and refund it and get the following app. The app that you want is called air video in the apple App Store and the air video server software is needed to run on your Mac. This program will play any format file and convert on the fly all formats including mkv and stream it to your iPhone iPad.

Optionally you can do what I do is map the cloud as a drive and use air video to stream from the wd device as a network drive.

Good luck.

2 Likes

As I mentioned in your other post, Apple does not support MKV so neither does the Cloud App.  Another option is to use FTP service on the My Cloud and use apps like VLC which can connect via FTP.

1 Like

Ralphael wrote:

Although it may be a cloud device it is far from being complete. It is getting there slowly but it is more of a nas box then a cloud box.

Take the wd cloud back and refund it and get the following app. The app that you want is called air video in the apple App Store and the air video server software is needed to run on your Mac. This program will play any format file and convert on the fly all formats including mkv and stream it to your iPhone iPad.

Optionally you can do what I do is map the cloud as a drive and use air video to stream from the wd device as a network drive.

Good luck.

Thank you, I’m currently reviewing this app that you recommended. I’m also utilizing VLC on both iPad and iPhone. I’m going to test the VLC FTP server option to try and connect on a different network ex. friends, office etc.

1 Like

Remember that you’ll need to set up port forwarding for FTP.

1 Like

ThreeEyedMinion wrote:

As I mentioned in your other post, Apple does not support MKV so neither does the Cloud App.  Another option is to use FTP service on the My Cloud and use apps like VLC which can connect via FTP.

Currently trying this with VLC on both devices from an outside network. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

ThreeEyedMinion wrote:

Remember that you’ll need to set up port forwarding for FTP.

You mean set up port forwarding on my router/gateway?

1 Like

Yes, but it sounds like you already have it. :slight_smile: