Playlists... Again: how do I make them play on my iPhone/iPad?

So… I’ve set up the My Cloud (3TB) and it seems to be working just fine. I’ve also created playlists on my computer (PC) and this also is, well, okey… What’s NOT okey, though, is the fact that these playlists show up with a questionmark in the icon on my WD My Cloud-app on the iPhone 6+ and iPad Air… On the PC it plays happily…

Question (to which I’ve been unable to find an answer): HOW do I make these playlists play on my mobile devices?

//Stefan

This, obviously, seems like one heck of a problem… Quite a few visits to the thread, but not a single answer or sollution to this… Is this because it’s not possible to use playlists outside the PC? Or, what? :open_mouth:

//Stefan

Caifeghra wrote:
So… I’ve set up the My Cloud (3TB) and it seems to be working just fine. I’ve also created playlists on my computer (PC) and this also is, well, okey… What’s NOT okey, though, is the fact that these playlists show up with a questionmark in the icon on my WD My Cloud-app on the iPhone 6+ and iPad Air… On the PC it plays happily…

Question (to which I’ve been unable to find an answer): HOW do I make these playlists play on my mobile devices?

//Stefan

When you say the playlists play on your PC what program on your PC are you using to play the play list? Windows Media Player?

Its important to note that the WD My Cloud apps are not (AFAIK) DLNA players. As such (again AFAIK) they won’t play playlist files automatically. Rather one has to select the file to launch a compatible app on their smartphone or tablet running the WD My Cloud app.

Why, thanks for the reply! Where I CAN play the lists (as far as I’ve tried on the PC) is the MyCloud app itself; where I create the .m3u-files. I noticed to my dismay that, while the lists are incompatible(?) with the MyCloud app in iOS, same app refuses to play continously lest you have the app active. Since both my mobile devices are iOS (iPad Air and iPhone 6+), I have no clue as how to import this playlist into the player on the devices (iPad is JBed 8.1, iPhone is 8.4 with Apple Music active)…

Maybe the sollution to this simply consists of me (in this case) downloading the files I want and, locally, create a playlist…

//Stefan

Another thing: If you download files from the My CLoud-app on an iPhone (6+) or an iPad Air: where do the files end up? Can’t find them…

//Stefan

Hi,

As far as i know The only files that you are able to download to an iphone are pictures and videos, and those go to the camera roll on your phone.

1 Like

Caifeghra wrote:
Why, thanks for the reply! Where I CAN play the lists (as far as I’ve tried on the PC) is the MyCloud app itself; where I create the .m3u-files. I noticed to my dismay that, while the lists are incompatible(?) with the MyCloud app in iOS, same app refuses to play continously lest you have the app active. Since both my mobile devices are iOS (iPad Air and iPhone 6+), I have no clue as how to import this playlist into the player on the devices (iPad is JBed 8.1, iPhone is 8.4 with Apple Music active)…

Maybe the sollution to this simply consists of me (in this case) downloading the files I want and, locally, create a playlist…

The playlist file will play on the WD My Cloud Desktop app for PC’s because the included WD music player will open the M3U playlist file. The WD My Cloud app for the Android (I don’t have any Apple devices) tries to pass the M3U playlist file off to another app on the device because the built in media player app doesn’t recognize M3U playlist files. I don’t have an app that wll play M3U playlist files on my Android device. I assume the WD My Cloud app for the iOS does the same, it tries to pass the M3U file, if it is visible and can be selected, to another app if the build in media player won’t play the file.

This is the answer I got from WD themselves, where they state that playlists created in desktop version of the My Cloud-app, cannot be played on mobile devices since: "iPhone and iPad and other mobile devices trying to see this as a network stream and cannot do that as this goes over our WD2go services.

In other words the playlist that are created within My Cloud Desktop application are currently only supported by My Cloud desktop application and not by mobile version of the My Cloud app."

So that’s that…

//Stefan

1 Like