Newbie with remote machine connection question

Hi,

I just added a WD MyCloud on my shop lan, works fine.

When at home I can use WD My cloud app to see all the files down in my shop, works fine.

But I can not seem to map a drive letter to the WD Mycloud from my remote machine. Kind of important as I have apps that use data off the the shared drive. I typically use Z:  and P:

Did I miss some important setup or code install? I really need to map two drive letter on my remote macchine to shares on the My Cloud.

Thanks,

Bob K.

1 Like

See the User Manual, Accessing Your Cloud Remotely>Acessing Your Personal Cloud on the Web. Read through this and at the top of page 73 you should see this,  “On Windows, once your share has mounted successfully, a drive letter for the share displays under My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8).”

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks, Big Help

Ok, I had been using the WD My Cloud app when I should have logged into the web site. I forgot that I still had a VPN running down to my skop an my laptop connected that way.

Now I see what is goiing on. What I dont like is I cannot control the drive letter. I would like it better if I could use something like Webdrive an establish connections to wdmydrive.com and eliminate the Java powered broser managed connection. Forming, holding and finally releasing connections seem shakey though my connection is through a slow DSL link.

If I can control how drive letters map to shares let me know, that would be a big help.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob K.

1 Like

Yes,

I can access my shares, through the WD2Go website, 

Sadly the shares get mapped to letter N: on my computer!

If ONLY I can control the Drive Letter!

I, too, have many applications that I would love to run of my cloud drive!

If you ever found a solution to this, please advise,

And thank you.

All,

I can see my files with wd my cloud desktop app on my work computer. But, the shares are not mapped to a drive and I cannot see how to do that. What am I missing? From some manuals that I’ve read, I’ve see that there should be a “+ Open In Explorer” option in WD app - but I don’t see that. 

I would like to be able to map the wdmycloud shares while on a remote computer so that I can point iTunes to this drive and play music on my device using iTunes. Is this possible? BTW, I can play music files individual from the WD Desktop app. But, I would like to play entire albums, shuffle, use playlists, etc.